Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Helpy with conflicting battalion numbers on g-grandfather's record

Guest blue_evertonian

Guest blue_evertonian

Hi,

I've recently come across a bunch of personal records of my great grandfather, who served with the King's Own (Royal Lancaster). The documents I have of his, which were left over following his death, including a 'Certificate of Employment Durign the War' state that he served with the 1st Battalion. However, the Medal Rolls state that he was with the 7th and 8th Battalions.

Can anyone help me figure out which one is 'true'? And why might there be such discrepancies?

Cheers!

What was his name and number?

Hello blue_evertonian

It is possible that he was with 1st Battalion at the outbreak of war, but did not go overseas with them in August 1914, and was sent to assist with the training of either 7th or 8th Bns, which were new formations. The only units mentioned in the medal rolls and index cards are those with which a man saw active service.

It is also possible that there has been a clerical error, perhaps confusing 1 for 7. With over five million men serving in the Army during the War, the odd mistake will have crept in.

Ron

Guest blue_evertonian

@ Blackblue - Name and number were Richard Edmund Howard, 15428. I've been unable to find any service records or the like.

@ Ron Clifton - His date of enlistment was 10 Nov 1914 which was shortly after the formation of the 7th Bn in September. The 1>7 clerical error seems likely, but doesn't the fact that he served with the 7th and 8th mean both should have been recorded on the Cert. of Employment and demob papers? (Hopefully that made sense!)

Cheers

Of 24 men with this number that died over 20 were with the 8th Bn. There is only one with 1st Bn killed very late in the war. The 7th Bn was disbanded in Feb 1918.

The Certificate of Employment usually only has the man's last unit. Many who were back in the UK were recorded as one of their Regiment's Reserve Bn's. My grandfather's for example says 4th LF. His Medal Rolls say 9th Bn, but I also know he served with the 1/5th Bn from his Service Papers and other material I have.

My guess is that men from the 7th Bn when disbanded may have gone to the 1st Bn? Perhaps he started with the 8th, was posted to the 7th after sickness or wounds and then ended the war with the 1st?

Rgds

Tim D

• 2 weeks later...

Blue,

7th (Service) Battalion, a Kitchener unit, joined 56 Brigade 19th (Western) Division and remained with that Division until disbandment in 1918. The 8th (Service} Battalion, also a Kitchener unit and raised around the same time, initially joined 76 Brigade 25th division another 'new army' formation then in October 1915 was moved to the 3rd division a regular division. Around that time some new army battalions were interchanged to provide a mix of regulars and new army men in an effort to give support to the kitchener men, although by that time few of the old regulars were left. Both the 7th and 8th were formed at Lancaster but served in different divisions for the duration.

Tony P