Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Queen Alexandra Hospital, Portsmouth

Bombadier

Visiting my mother in Hospital I have become very familiar with the main ground floor corridor.

At the end farthest from the entrance, there are a number of photos on the wall dating from the early years of the hospital. It was purely Military until the early 40s.

There is a view of an operating theatre with a really scary looking Doctor(?) in uniform. Also several of soldiers in wards and one captiones as soldiers recovering after the Battle of the Somme and some exterior ones. Also, for some reason which I cannot fathom, a photo of an early lift.

If you are in the area they are interesting to look at. Not for too long however, as it costs £1.20 for an hour's parking there.

Nigel

• 3 years later...

If anyone else is going, it would be nice to see if copies of these photographs can be obtained! My Grandfather was admitted there in 1920 after his return from service in Russia with the RMLI

Take a look at this site http://www.portsdown-tunnels.org.uk/ there a few images of the old Military Hospital now the QA on Portsdown Hill.

The QA Hospital was used during the First War but its fame was from treating the wounded from Dunkirk in the 2nd war as Cosham has it own

railway station and the Hospital was just up the high street which made it ideal for receiving the wounded.

• 1 year later...
At the end farthest from the entrance, there are a number of photos on the wall dating from the early years of the hospital. It was purely Military until the early 40s. There is a view of an operating theatre with a really scary looking Doctor(?) in uniform. Also several of soldiers in wards and one captiones as soldiers recovering after the Battle of the Somme and some exterior ones. Also, for some reason which I cannot fathom, a photo of an early lift./quote]

I have to go to QA next month, so will investiaage the possibility of getting copies of some of these pictures!

D