Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wisden's Almanac 1916

stiletto_33853

Does anyone have access to a 1916 Wisden's Almanac??

If at all possible would it be possible to obtain a scan of pages 221 & 222.

Andy

Andy

I've just dragged myself out of Dave's link because I could end up spending days in there. If you don't find what you want there would Andrew Renshaw's Wisden on the Great War be of any help? Andrew is Ajaxer also of this parish as you may know; I will have my copy primed and ready just in case.

Pete.

Well it didn't help me finish my marking and go to bed at a reasonable time. Talk about catnip for a cricket fan!! Amidst all the carnage of the Great War reflected in the 1916 Wisden, Victor Trumper's ridiculously early death still seems a dreadful tragedy

David

David

Victor Trumper's ridiculously early death still seems a dreadful tragedy

Coincidently I bought my first copy of Wisden as a 14-year old mad keen on Cricket with an Aussie captain of the school team that I was in. It was the 1963 edition which contained Neville Cardus' selection of 'Six Giants of the Wisden Century' one of which was Trumper.

Dave

Great link and many thanks Dave, much appreciated. Spent a good few hours going through the site as per David's post.

Two men I was looking at Captain L. Woodroffe, managed to get all his scores from Marlborough, and Lieutenant C. Bourns, his information is a little more elusive.

Pete, thanks for the offer with Renshaw's especially on Bourn if there is more??

Andy

If I get another tax rebate this year the 1916 Wisden is on my list, if you can wait that long.

Great link and many thanks Dave, much appreciated. Spent a good few hours going through the site as per David's post.

Two men I was looking at Captain L. Woodroffe, managed to get all his scores from Marlborough, and Lieutenant C. Bourns, his information is a little more elusive.

Pete, thanks for the offer with Renshaw's especially on Bourn if there is more??

Andy

Andrew's book includes one sentence on Lt. Bourns in Deaths in 1915 on page 108:

LT CHARLES BOURNS (Rifle Brigade), killed on May 25th , aged 34 was in the Merchant Taylor's Eleven in 1899 and 1900...{W1917}

The entry faces that of Rupert Brooke on page 109. I take it the Merchant Taylors mentioned is Northwood rather than Crosby, the latter is but a stones throw from Owls Towers.

The entry for Leslie Woodroffe MC is the same stating that he played 'a few times for the Marlborough Eleven in 1903'. Andrew had added the detail about the deaths of his two brothers and how he too fell. As with Dave's link going through Andrew's book is catastrophic for getting anything else done; it's that compulsive. While I was searching for Woodroffe I found the entry for Henry Webber and next but one to him Richard Weld-Blundell who lived in Little Crosby, the son of the lord of the manor. I'm now desperately fighting the compulsion to go and look up Cardus on Victor Trumper.......

Pete.

Hi Pete,

Thank you for that, only mention of his cricket in The Merchant Taylors School Register was 1898 - 99, Rugby, where he played for the school in 1897-98, 98 - 99, 99 - 100.

B.A. in Lit. Hum. from St. Johns. Became a school master at Bilton Grange school then Repton.

Leslie Woodroffe death was tragic, being wounded by a shell just as he reported to another battalion of The Rifle Brigade after leaving the 8th RB where his brother Sydney was killed at Hooge. Marlborough have been very helpful with regards the Woodroffe brothers and their time at Marlborough.

Thanks again

Andy

Coincidently I bought my first copy of Wisden as a 14-year old mad keen on Cricket with an Aussie captain of the school team that I was in. It was the 1963 edition which contained Neville Cardus' selection of 'Six Giants of the Wisden Century' one of which was Trumper.

Dave

ahhhh, Neville Cardus - probably the best sports journalist of all time?

Some of the c**p printed on the back pages nowadays would have appalled him.

BillyH.

r. I'm now desperately fighting the compulsion to go and look up Cardus on Victor Trumper.......

Pete.

Pete

Don't bother (fighting the compulsion) it's a great read from what I remember. I don't think it was in that article, but I've loved his comparison of Trumper with the Don - "Bradman was an aeroplane, Trumper was a bird"

David

Pete

Don't bother (fighting the compulsion) it's a great read from what I remember. I don't think it was in that article, but I've loved his comparison of Trumper with the Don - "Bradman was an aeroplane, Trumper was a bird"

David

Get thee behind me Satan. It's bad enough you being assimlated by JimHastings.exe.

BillyH.

No arguments from me matey; I'm with you on this one. Hope all is well over the water.

Pete.

BillyH.

There's still hope. Read Simon Barnes in the Times

Andy

Andy,

You can find plenty of information (although not always full records) on the cricketarchive website. Their records of matches played by C Bourns can be accessed from the following link:

http://cricketarchive.com/cgi-bin/player_oracle_reveals_results2.cgi?playernumber=950950&captain=&startscore=&opponentmatch=exact&howout=All&matchtype=All&resulttype=All&endseason=&homeawaytype=All&playername=bourns&startwicket=&opponent=&branding=cricketarchive&playermatch=contains&endscore=&startseason=&wicketkeeper=&testing=0&endwicket=&teammatch=exact&team=&searchtype=MatchList

The home matches were played at Bellingham (occupied Kent)

Paul

Thanks Paul much appreciated.

Andy