The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sedman Brothers

BrianR

The brothers were Oswald,Jack and Bernard.Oswalds grandson tells me that he and his brothers were born in Yorkshire,but at some point the family moved to Rainhill(then in Lancashire) All fought in the Great War but he doesn't know whether they enlisted while in Yorkshire or Rainhill . He doesn't what regiment they were in buy from photographs he gave me,Prescot historian Stephen Nulty says the cap badge could be the Yorkshire Regiment.Jack was killed whilst Oswald and Bernard but returned home badly injured. Any info on these brothers would be greatly appreciated.

This is the only J Sedman at CWGC;

SEDMAN, JAMES ALLISON
  • Service No: 41204
  • Date of Death: 08/08/1918
  • Regiment/Service: King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment) 1st Bn.
  • Grave Reference H. 2.
  • Cemetery GONNEHEM BRITISH CEMETERY
Additional Information:

Son of George and Mary Sedman, of Irton, Seamer, Scarborough.

• Admin

What was Jack's middle name ?

Oswald appears to have been with the Yorkshire Regiment - there are 2 medals card's #2676 and #240830 so he may have been a pre-war territorial.

This is the only J Sedman at CWGC;

SEDMAN, JAMES ALLISON

There's also a John Moor Sedman - http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/201496/SEDMAN,%20JOHN%20MOOR

Name: John Moor Sedman
Residence: East Ayton, Yorks
Death Date: 1 Oct 1915
Death Location: France & Flanders
Enlistment Location: Woolwich, S.e.
Regiment: Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery
Number: 98472
Type of Casualty: Died
Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Craig

Correcting my earlier post, it isn't James Allison Sedman, 41204, Royal Lancasters - he had four older brothers: George, Thomas, Robert, Samuel but not Oswald or Bernard.

It's not John Moore Sedman either. He had seven brothers and none was Oswald or Bernard.

• Admin

SDGW has only 5 Sedman's

Francis Stephen
John Moor
Cecil
Herber
James A

Craig

1911 census has John Wilson Sedman (b. 1898) living in Malton, Yorkshire, son of Thomas and Annie, and with brothers called Bernard (b 1895) and Oswald (b. 1896).

This John Wilson Sedman's papers are on ancestry. He served with the number 2677 with 3rd/ 5th (Reserve) and then 4th Battalion of the Yorkshire Regiment but was discharged on 29 September 1916 for being "permanently unfit". There is a note to say that he was coughing blood and had traces of TB.

There is a further note in his file recording that he died on 7 September 1917.

• Admin

Possible IFCP man ?. Does it attribute to service ?

Craig

This John Wilson Sedman's papers are on ancestry. He served with the number 2677 with 3rd/ 5th (Reserve) and then 4th Battalion of the Yorkshire Regiment but was discharged on 29

He's only 1 number different from Oswald so they must have enlisted in the T.F around the same time.

EDIT:

Oswald enlisted 3/11/1914 (SWB roll)

Craig

Craig

To my mind, it is ambiguous, so I am attaching an image of it so that others can form a view.post-105485-0-33698000-1401997731_thumb.

• Admin

It's unclear but I think it's meant to be read as 'Not caused by, aggravated by ordinary military service'.

Craig

• Admin

It sounds like he claimed the TB was caused by exposure to wet weather while in an army camp but the doctor is saying 'Not caused by,[or] aggravated by ordinary military service exposure in camp during wet weather.'

I'd say it is worth flagging it to the IFCP people.

Not caused, by (but) aggravated by ordinary military service...?

With two x by in the same sentence this could have been written while concentration was not good.

The position of the comma is a little odd.

This case will be able to go ahead dependent of course on the DC. If anyone wants to take this case please go ahead otherwise I will do it.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

I am sorry, I really should have reported back here.

Yes, I have a copy of the death certificate which I passed on because John Wilson SEDMAN, aged 20, did die of Pulmonary Tuberculosis.

He was described as an Army Pensioner and his father, Thomas, was present at the death.

If you would like a copy of the death certificate for the family please let me have an email address, by Private Message.

I am away from home at the moment but will be back towards the end of next week.

CGM

• 2 weeks later...

CGM I have been in contact with Jacks Great nephew re the Death Certificate.He will contact relatives to see if any of them would like a copy,if so I will be in touch.

• 3 months later...
Guest ElizabethR

The brothers were Oswald,Jack and Bernard.Oswalds grandson tells me that he and his brothers were born in Yorkshire,but at some point the family moved to Rainhill(then in Lancashire) All fought in the Great War but he doesn't know whether they enlisted while in Yorkshire or Rainhill . He doesn't what regiment they were in buy from photographs he gave me,Prescot historian Stephen Nulty says the cap badge could be the Yorkshire Regiment.Jack was killed whilst Oswald and Bernard but returned home badly injured. Any info on these brothers would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Brian, Oswald, Jack and Bernard were the brothers of my grandmother Annette. Oswald did return home but had shrapnel trapped in his body. Unfortunately it moved to his heart and he died at the age of 35. Jack (born John Wilson Sedman) died at the age of 20 in 1917. He was injured and was in hospital, returned home to Malton, North Yorkshire to die. Bernard was injured on the battle of the Somme in Devils Wood. He was one of the first over the top and was shot and landed in a trench; the story he told is that a german fell on him and covered his body. Because he heard German voices he remained silent and lay for 30 hours until he heard English voices and fortunately was sent home. I have letters from him to my grandmother Annette, telling me how he was injured. Bernard unfortunately had shrapnel in his hip resulting in him having one leg shorter than the other and having to wear boot higher than the other which was great fascination to we younger children. He married and went on to have three children. Oswald was the brother who moved to Rainhill. I too have information regarding him. Hope this helps