Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

88 CQMS Matthew Spark 5th Border Regiment

tullybrone

Hi,

A neighbour has just let me have sight of some Great War memorabilia that originated with his grandfather who served in the 5th Border Regiment.

One of the items is a Silver War Badge with the serial number 200079.

Could a member with access to Ancestry tell me who it was issued to please as my neighbour understands his grandfather was not the recipient.

Thanks

Steve Y

M.I.C. also show a change of service number to 240004 same regiment with and qualifying for a 1914 star trio.

hi badge issued to 88 C.Q.M.S matthew spark 5th borders reg.

Hi Hugh,

Thanks so much for the speedy reply.

Those are the details of my neighbours grandfather - not the first time a family story has been disproved by the forum.

Could I trouble you further and ask for the other details recorded on his SWB entry please?

Thanks.

Steve Y

Steve

Date of enlistment given as 7 Aug 1916, date of discharge 6 Dec 1916

Cause of discharge - Class P (T) Reserve. Awarded Pension.

His pension papers are available -

Stuart

Here it is nice and tidy

post-11859-0-10481700-1402039048_thumb.j

His papers also include his attestation form of 1908, formerly a coal miner.

Noted as awarded DCM LG 14 Jan 1916, 1914 Star BV and WM, served in South Africa 1901 Transval, Cape Colony and Orange Free State and was awarded Territorial Efficiency medal in 1910.

Stuart

From the Long, Long Trail:

New types of reserve created during the war:

Class P Reserve and Class P(T) were introduced by the same Army Order 355/16. These classes consisted of men
- ‘whose services are deemed to be temporarily of more value to the country in civil life rather than in the Army’
- and who were not lower than medical grade C iii
- and as a result of having served in the Army or TF would, if discharged, be eligible for a pension on the grounds of disability or length of service.

Men in Classes P and P(T) were, for the purposes of pay, allowances, gratuity and pension, treated as if they been discharged on the date of their transfer to Class P or P(T); that is. they did receive money from the Army. Other terms and conditions were as for Class W.

I am going to suggest that as he was formally a coal miner ( and therefore temporarily of more value to the country in civil life rather than in the Army) this is why he was discharged under Class P(T).

He was therefore eligible for a Silver War Badge.

However, this would have to be followed up to prove it.

CGM

Hi,

Thanks everyone for your help.

I'm away from home at the moment so won't be able to look at his record on Ancestry in my local library for a couple of weeks but I'll update my neighbour later today.

From the documents in my neighbours possession Matthew Spark was a member of 3rd (Cumberland) Volunteer Battalion when he volunteered for service in South Africa. I think those papers/medal rolls may be on FMP?

He obviously transferred to TF in 1908 and I presume he served his 2 x 4 year terms and was discharged "time served" in mid 1916 but rejoined (Military Service Act?) in Aug 1916 (6 figure Border Regiment number issued - 240004) but was discharged a short time later.

From memory I think Class P reserve was the class of men who were returned to work in important industries - in his case presumably as a coal miner.

Thanks again.

Steve Y

PS.

Thanks to CGM for your interpretation - I was composing this post as you posted yours.

• spof changed the title to 88 CQMS Matthew Spark 5th Border Regiment