Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

General H Best ?

Antspants80

I wonder if anyone would be able to help me.

I saw this for sale the other day along with a few military images and items.. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANTIQUE-HEAVY-BRASS-MILITARY-WW1-RULER-RULE-GENERAL-H-BEST-OWNED-ROLLING-/201096607292?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item2ed24ab63c

I read the listing and messaged the seller asking in regards to who the General Best is but the seller is unsure all they know is he was at the war office during WW1.

I did think at first hmm bit strange and did question a bit more now they have sent me more images of what they have and i have never seen a collection of war papers and images like it and it does prove this person is 100% from the war office but i am seemingly unable to find out who he is no matter what i search ?

My wonder is does anyone know who this person is and what they did ?

Thank you

Antony

Thanks IPT, You are a star,

Yes the lady seems to have Richborough port and many other places all been built in photographs which is what made me wonder who he was to get them as some of the others she has would certainly of only seen or handled by high ranks.

I thank you greatly i think i will have a see if they are for sale as a collection now i am able to find the General.

• 2 weeks later...

Relinquished his commission on completion of service 18/10/1919 and granted the rank of Major.

Was this a common thing to happen ? He must of served a good time to become such rank seems strange to Relinquish what he has earned..

Relinquished his commission on completion of service 18/10/1919 and granted the rank of Major.

Was this a common thing to happen ? He must of served a good time to become such rank seems strange to Relinquish what he has earned..

Under war time conditions he could have reached captain quite quickly and then be granted the honorific promotion from acting major to major on leaving the army (a sort of pat on the back). .There must have been thousands of officers of captain rank who left the army in 1919. If he was a staff officer he could have seen some quite sensitive material with a relatively low rank and once the war was over it might not be so sensitive any more. The vast majority of officers were effectively hostilities only (for the duration) with temporary commissions and when the war was over went back to civilian life