Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

KRR and KRRC

Can anyone tell me when the KRR became the KRRC and in 1914 was is correct to refer to the Regiment as the KRR?

Online sources conflict. I had always assumed KRR was the correct form for 1914 but James' "British Regiments 1914-19182 uses King's Royal Rifle Corps which I always thought (maybe incorrectly) was a post Great War title.

Thanks

MG

Formalised in 1881, I believe, although it had used the name since 1830. I am not sure it has ever officially been known as the KRR.

I tend to refer to them as the 60th, which I think they frequently still used. As Chris says, though, I don't think KRR was ever official - probably just an abbreviation.

Formalised in 1881, I believe, although it had used the name since 1830. I am not sure it has ever officially been known as the KRR.

Thanks Chris... I thought the shoulder titles were KRR and then KRRC post war...and had assumed this reflected some official changes in title.

It is noticeable that the War Diary typed cover pages are KRRC but the narratives use KRR - both 1st and 2nd Bns use KRR throughout the handwritten narrative and signatures are 2/KRR etc....yet the typed pages (presumably typed post war use KRRC). . which makes me wonder if the KRR/KRRC transition happened just after the war...

I tend to refer to them as the 60th, which I think they frequently still used. As Chris says, though, I don't think KRR was ever official - probably just an abbreviation.

On the 60th... I had assumed this was unofficial and a throwback to the pre 1881 titles and given it had not amalgamated in the 1881 reforms had unofficially retained its old number. Northumberland Fus often called themselves the 5th Fusiliers in a similar fashion.... looking at the diaries I can't find any examples of the KRRC calling themselves the 60th Rifles...it seemed to be a term used mostly by other Regiments to describe the KRRC.... one of the Gallipoli diaries written by a 'Dug-out' consistently refers to battalions by their old pre 1881 numbers.... 1st Bn Lanc Fus as 1/20th and 6th Bn Lincolns as 6/10th etc..

I am trying to establish what was the official title in 1914. There seems to be some conflict between the multiple sources.

The Weekly Returns of the British Army use KRRC in 1914 which seems to be a good enough authority. Thanks for your thoughts. Much appreciated. MG

I am an Associate Member of the King's Royal Rifle Corps Association. They still refer to themselves as the 60th, even now.

Quite right too. They need to be regularly reminded how junior they are!

Ron

Martin

From attestation forms

KRRC written 13/8/14 and 1/9/14

KRRC rubber stamped 19/8/15

From the first 3 I have looked at.

Captain BF Whiteley DCM, 4th Bn 1899-1902, 2nd Bn 1902-1914, 1st Bn 1914-15, 5th Bn 1915-17 (MGC 1917-1920), 1st Bn 1920-21 - was called "60" by his fellow WW1 veterans in the RAF Regiment in 1940-41..

Came across Kings Royal Rifle Corps on enlistment form 1890.

Came across Kings Royal Rifle Corps on enlistment form 1890.

Thanks

Am vey sure KRRC is right. To be honest I had the evidence right under my nose (Army List 1914). The KRR was a lingering red herring from an insignia thread some time ago. Thanks for the input though. As every very grateful. MG