Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2 Squadron AFC - Members homeward bound

NiftyNev

The attached photo is of members of 2 Squadron AFC. It was taken during the repatriation voyage back to Australia on board the Kaisar-i-Hind between 16 May and 18 June 1919.

More information is available at the following URL: http://www.awm.gov.au/units/unit_10836.asp

The provenance for this photo is limited. I am told it is from a recently discovered glass-slide.

I would be most grateful if anyone has seen this photo circulated else-where, but most especially would be grateful if anyone is able to identify individuals by any means.

Thanks for your interest.

Nifty (Nev) Thomas

post-110473-0-93481700-1401774362_thumb.

Yes, some do. The original glass slide photo was scaled up to quite a large size and I have quite a high resolution reproduction. Of course we don't have the colours, but on close inspection I can see most of the middle row (seated on chairs) have ribbons below the wings on their left breast. A bit too blurred though to get any more detail.

Nev

Hello Nev.

As a bit of an aside, my Grandfather, although not pictured, was on the "Kaiser-I-Hind" that sailed on the 6th May 1919. It had an estimated date of arrival in Melbourne of 23 June 1919..

Andy.

Hi Nev - and welcome to the forum....

Can't recall having seen this photo before....

Bit hard to tell with his cap on - but the officer 2nd from the left in the middle row, looks like Capt Roy Cecil Phillipps (MC&Bar, DFC) - there are quite a few photos of him in the AWM collection (mostly without cap).

http://www.awm.gov.au/collection/A03716/

He RTA on the Kaiser-i-hind, embarking Southampton 6/5/1919 & disembarking in Melbourne 16/6/1919.

Capt Phillipps is in both my Married O/S Database (having married in England 1917) & my Accidental Deaths Database (having died in a flying accident in Qld during WW2)

Cheers, Frev

• 2 months later...

Thanks Frev,and Andy.

I understand the provenance of this photo is that it was apparently only discovered fairly recently on a glass plate stashed away all this time; ergo, probably not yet widely distributed.

Frev, I had a look at the link you kindly provided and I would agree - he is a very good match as you describe.

I think we could provisionally make the call on that face at least. If we can trace the other members of his unit who embarked with him on the RTA, we might be able to match more names to faces in a similar way.

Do you think you could get the embarkation list?

cheers

Nev

Hi Frev, I also found a citation in the UK, Commonwealth War Graves, 1914-1921 and 1939-1947 listsforRoy Cecil Phillipp. It lines up with the info you provided.

FYI, It reads:

PHILLIPPS, Sqdn. Ldr. ROY CECIL, 860, D.F.C.,

M.C. and Bar. R.A.A.F. 21st May, 1941, Age 45.

Son of William Hargreave Phillipps and Cecil

Raymond Phillipps; husband of Ellen Hillman

Phillipps, of Toowoomba. (Cremated Mt. Thomp-

son Crematorium.)

Nev