Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RWF amazing new book: URGENT

Muerrisch

I have just received my copy of "The Quartermaster's Album", written by Graham Knight.

The core of the book is an amazing collection of photos taken or owned by RQMS Cottrill, who was commissioned 2Lt in October 1914 and was appointed QM. His entire service was with 1st RWF.

Graham has breathed life into the photos and added a huge amount of explanatory text.

The print run is VERY SHORT INDEED as GK was not in it for profit, but believed the photos should be seen.

He has 10 copies left.

You will kick yourself if you do not PM me with your contact details that I will pass to the author.

First come first served.

By the by, I was at the regimental museum the other week and was surprised that they don't sell "stuff" - like Grumpy's book. Not even by way of an arrangement with the castle shop.

50p per copy or £50 per copy?

Neither, but I think GK retails it at about £15

206 pp A4 on nice paper and super reproduction.

Have only looked at photos so far: gobsmacked!

By the by, I was at the regimental museum the other week and was surprised that they don't sell "stuff" - like Grumpy's book. Not even by way of an arrangement with the castle shop.

The whole museum/archive aspect is a total mess, believe me.

If you have tears to shed, prepare to shed them now.

I would love a copy of this. I will PM you Grumpy, you may already have my details from last time I purchased your book.

Thank you: Get on with it and be sure to give your email address please!

Sorry I am disorganized in my study, redecorating. Don't ask.

Speed Review.

There are many illustrations here that have not appeared in any public media, and not even available in the regimental archive .

Graham is very good at breathing life into old, damaged and faded prints: I saw the originals and the transformation is marvellous.

The book is, in essence, a scrapbook woven round Joe Cottrill's album.

There are errors [the man who never made a mistake never made anything]. Obvious ones include Private "Totty" Fahy being described as Sassoon's servant, whereas he was Robert Graves's. Some "Captain Quartermaster sergeants" appear in the text, and a fair scattering of badged sergeants are called corporals ....... there is no consistent treatment of rank regarding when/what. Editing and proof reading is less than pristine [some point-size inadvertent changes for example].

There are omissions. The author did not go to Kew to read Joe Cottrill's very extensive file, which is, I assure you, fascinating. Joe's Italy service and the circumstances of his pension and retirement are not covered.

Never mind. If you are lucky enough to get one of the last 10 copies available, you are buying it primarily for the illustrations. If you bought TWO copies you would be on a good profit very soon!

six copies spoken for ...... GK said he had "about 10" spare. I am offline until late afternoon and will take PMs in the order received.

I would certainly like a copy if there are any left!

My copy arrived safely this morning. I've had the merest flick through but it looks very interesting indeed.

All the books The Quartermaster's Album,1st Bn RWF 1914-1919 by Graham Knight have now been SOLD OUT

Thank you all those that bought a copy

received today!! brilliant book, a regular pre war battalion, Stockwell...according to Richards.."would have shot him like a dog" referring to a man not firing correctly at the advancing enemy, hard men in those days

• 4 weeks later...

Due to disappointing people who could not get a copy and due to demand the book has been reprinted with minor mistakes corrected.

The 2nd Edition of The Quartermaster’s Album, 1st Bn RWF 1914-1919 will be available from me from the 11th July 2014.

PM me or Grumpy for details.

Chrome,

All being well, I ought to be reading this book within two weeks. A great prospect - just like Xmas all over again.

Thanx for the trouble!

• 3 weeks later...

Chrone,

Just back from a short cycle holiday around the Arrnhem-Oosterbeek area and your book was awaiting my arrival home.

Have had a quicl glance through it and it looks great.

Thanks for all the trouble.

I defenitely do not claim to be someone who has read LOADS of WW 1 books but this battalion seems to be over-represented.

Not complaining, mind....

I defenitely do not claim to be someone who has read LOADS of WW 1 books but this battalion seems to be over-represented.

Not complaining, mind....

Do you mean regiment?

1st RWF is in fact playing catchup to the famous 2nd RWF.

Do you mean regiment?

1st RWF is in fact playing catchup to the famous 2nd RWF.

Spare a thought for those regiments with no Great War published history.