Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sly

Saint Germain au Mont d'Or cemetery

Sly

Hi,

I might have the opportunity to get to Saint Germain au Mont d'Or CWGC cemetery next week. This cemetery (near Lyon) is far away from the battlefields, let me know if you want any photo.

Regards

Sly

bobpike

Sly,

I would be very grateful for any of these, please,

Bob Pike

HUNT-Shoeing Smith Corporal-A-29560-66th Bde. Ammunition Col.-Royal Field Artillery----05/10/1918-----ST. GERMAIN-AU-MONT-D`OR COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION-B. 80

PETERS-Sapper-SETH-446815-130th Field Coy.-Royal Engineers----28/06/1918-35-Son of Joseph and Ellen Peters, of Heswall, Cheshire---ST. GERMAIN-AU-MONT-D`OR COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION-B. 10

OWEN-Second Lieutenant-W D--15th Bn.-Welsh Regiment----11/10/1918-----ST. GERMAIN-AU-MONT-D`OR COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION-B. 76

EVANS-Rifleman-WATKIN LLEWELYN-114274-2nd Bn.-King's Royal Rifle Corps----20/12/1918-22-Son of David and Charlotte Evans, of Troedyrhiw, North Rd., Lampeter, Cardiganshire---ST. GERMAIN-AU-MONT-D`OR COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION-B. 48

MORRITT-Private-HAROLD-48207-2nd Bn.-Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)----26/12/1918-24-Son of the late Thomas Morritt---ST. GERMAIN-AU-MONT-D`OR COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION-B. 45

PERKINS-Private-SIDNEY JOSEPH-48986-82nd Coy.-Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)----04/10/1918-23-Husband of Gertrude Kate Perkins, of 42, Charles St., Stepney, London---ST. GERMAIN-AU-MONT-D`OR COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION-B. 81

LOVE-Private-F C-45486-123rd Coy.-Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)----04/03/1918-32-Husband of Lily Rose D. Cunningham (formerly Love), of 114, Palmers Road, New Southgate, London---ST. GERMAIN-AU-MONT-D`OR COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION-D. 4

Sly

Hi,

Done. send me your email adress for the graves photos please.

post-20268-0-80631400-1402410591_thumb.j

post-20268-0-41093900-1402410609_thumb.j

Sly

bobpike

Thank you very much, Sly. I'll PM you now,
Bob

Guest jwoodyxx

Hello Sly

With regards to the above, I was wondering if you managed to obtain a picture of the grave of PETERS-Sapper-SETH-446815-130th Field Coy.-Royal Engineers----28/06/1918-35-Son of Joseph and Ellen Peters, of Heswall, Cheshire---ST. GERMAIN-AU-MONT-D`OR COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION-B. 10

This is a relative of mine. Would be so grateful if you could provide me with a copy of this picture if you still have it?

Many thanks,

Jane

esthameian

Hello Sly

I don't suppose that you happened to take a photo of the gravestone of Sapper William Edwards, Royal Engineers, 158th Army Troops Coy, (Army No. 216710) did you?! He is buried in St Germain-au-Mont-d’Or Communal Cemetery Extension (plot B.15). 

The reason for my interest is that he is one of the 15 men whose names appear on our village war memorial in Drinkstone, Suffolk. We are approaching the centenary of his death (3rd September 1918) and as for all the men, we will be mounting an exhibition in September to remember him. 

He was en route to England from Tarranto in Italy, when he was taken ill. According to his Medical Case Sheet, on 29th August 1918 he was admitted to the military hospital (which also quotes a 'station' reference: "Military Hosp. A.P.O. S.85."), associated with the transit camp and cemetery at Saint Germain au Mont d'Or, which was named as Le Manoir Fleurie in a post by Duncan Wylie (Edinburgh, Scotland) on 11th August 2015. Sapper Edwards died at around 6pm on 3rd September 1918, the cause of death being recorded initially as Meningitis, subsequently amended to Cerebral Malaria following a post mortem.

I have arranged to meet two of his grandchildren shortly who have his medals and 'Dead Man's Penny' and I'm sure they would appreciate seeing a photograph of his final resting place.

Here's hoping you (or anyone reading this post) may be able to help?

Thank you!

Robin

esthameian

Now found a photograph of the gravestone - thank you Ben Terrier!