Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 tugboat BISON

sammybill

Hi there, I'm hoping one of you tugboat experts can help me with info on the Bison which my grandfather was on in WW1. He was an engine fitter from Portsmouth and the Bison was apparently a rescue tug working out of Methil, Fife, Scotland.

Some time ago I posted this question on a different family history forum, and there was some conjecture as to whether the Bison was indeed a tugboat, or some other type of ship. My Dad's childhood memory is of seeing the Bison docked at Portsmouth, as part of Navy Day (or week) in the 1920's. His Dad pointed it out to him and told him about working in the engine room during the war, when it often rescued ships in the North sea. Although he's now 90, Dad has a pretty good memory, and remembers the name written across the stern. He has grown up firmly believing it was a tugboat. I know there was a tugboat called Bison which was registered in Liverpool, but can anyone help me to confirm or otherwise that this was the vessel that was at Methil in WW1?

I can find no trace of an Admiralty Rescue Tug BISON, nor that such tugs were based on Methil (most were in the Channel and Irish Sea).

The steam tug BISON appears to have been a civilian tug and it appears frequently in the deck logs of HM ships operating out of Liverpool/Birkenhead, doing the things tugs normally do. The earliest note I can find is dated June 1915 and she is recorded at Liverpool regularly between June 1915 and January 1919 so, almost certainly, not based on Methil during that period.

There was the tug-tender BISON which was based in Liverpool. Here is her story:

BISON built 1906 Canadian Pacific Railway Co tender. O.N.124020 274 g.t., 125ft x 24ft, 1906 launched by H & C. Grayson, Garston (Yard No.57), engine by Crabtree & Co, Gt. Yarmouth for CPR. 1915-1919 war service, 1936 passenger licence increased to 537 plus crew of 11. 4th May 1941 sunk by air attack in Mersey, salvaged. 9th Nov.1946 sold to J. L. Lastis, Jan.1947 renamed NIKI. 1954 sold to N. Lambiris re-engined and renamed HYDRA. 1957 renamed NICHOLAS I, 1964 to A. Alexiadis & P. Iliadis, Piraeus renamed AGHIOS GEORGIOS, 5th Nov.1968 sank off Mitlene Island.

source: http://newsarch.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/Mariners/2005-04/1113301772

And a couple of photos:

post-47380-0-27696300-1401701732_thumb.j

post-47380-0-67059100-1401701743_thumb.j

That's the most un-looking tug I've ever seen. Sort of like a cross between a tug and a ferry.

The reason is above, she was originally built as a 'tender' to liners.

Thanks very much everyone, its great to get some input. Dad seems to recognise the tug tender in those photos! Could it be possible that it was used for rescues? From what I understand, it went back and forth along the coast and back to Portsmouth as well. Perhaps it was at Methil for repairs or something? I would love to solve this - thanks again.

• 9 months later...
Guest Steve Corcoran

Hi Folks

Came across this post a few days ago and thought best to include this image, now depositted in the marritime museum in Liverpool, it shows a number of Inmate scholars from the Royal Liverpool Seaman's Orphanage Institution whos building is located in Newsham Park Liverpool, havent got a clear date for the image although I have included a copy of the text that was on the rear of the photograph, Looks like the kids are having a great time on an annual outing, any more information would be greatly appreciated.

post-121249-0-15018200-1427573244_thumb.

I think it's the Red Ensign. Colours are not easy to identify on orthochromatic "black and white" film of the Great War period.

Ron