Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

18783 Gnr. George Henry Dutton 109th HB RGA of Crewe

Bingo794

One for the RGA buffs.

Just putting out a feeler for a mate who has just uncovered some of his WW1 family history, having found that one of his grandfathers' was KIA 01/06/1917 with the 109th Heavy Battery RGA,.

Though according to his MIC began his war service with the 35th HB RGA and went abroad on 27/08/1914.

I cannot spot anything on him or details of where, how or which battle he was involved in at the time of his death.

Is he commemorated anywhere in the Crewe area?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Richard

The only Crewe memorial I have a photo of with his name on is the town memorial. The original plaques were on display outside Christ Church but he wasn't named on them as far as I can see.

As I've only ever managed to get access to one church in Crewe and Coppenhall it's quite possible that his name is recorded elsewhere.

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

Cheers for that B UK!

Just the sort of thing I am after. It can a little difficult to get out to memorials on the other side of the country.

One of the reasons why I always take a camera, or at least a mobile phone on my travels.

You never know when someone asks the question.

I am beginning to piece together through the LLT a little on Mr. Dutton and trying Google on his units. Found some interesting stuff, so far. I am sure my mate will be well pleased.

Many thanks,

Richard

Richard

George is buried at Vlamertinghe Military Cemetery some 5 kms west of Ypres. He is buried next to a fellow 109HB guncrew member, Gunner C Dyer,who was killed on the same day. Both were killed in action. You will need the unit War Diary to see where they were on the day as some of the burials were brought in from a distance away,equally heavy guns would fire at enemy guns from this point to the west of Ypres and be targetted also,so possible that the gun received an adjacent shell on normal day-to-day targetting in the 2 months leading up to the start of 3rd Ypres. I would ordinarily quote the War Diary ref.but the only one for 109 HB ends in Sep 1915,and it is likely that it joined a Heavy Artillery Group then and some knowledge is required of the make up of these groups. Someone here may be able to put you in the way of the right Diary.

Thanks for your input on this, Sotonmate.

So, now I need to find out which Heavy Arty Group the 109th HB joined after their War Diary ends in Sept 15.

I will try the 'Units and Formations' forum for a bit more info, specifying what is needed.

Artillery is not my usual unit research as you may know! :whistle:

Richard