Remembered Today:

Yellow diamond patch

Noyes16

I attended a privately owned museum today and the curator had a tunic, trench cap and brodie helmet that he'd been given. All had belonged to a soldier from the Durham Light Infantry. At the top of each arm was sewn a yellow diamond patch. This emblem was also painted on the brodie. Unfortunately, the curator didn't know what unit the yellow diamond signified. Does anyone know which division used the yellow diamond?

I believe it is either 6 . 8 or 9/DLI in 151 Brigade but I am not sure of the colours.

1/5th Bn. D.L.I. blue square, 2 inch sides, cotton.

1/6th Bn. DLI Diamond Colour?
1/7th Bn. D.L.I. red left/green disc, 1 inch diam, felt.

1/8th Bn DLI

1/9th Bn D.L.I. with 62nd Div a Diamond Colour?
10th Bn. D.L.I. red silhouette of bugle, felt.

11th Bn D.L.I Red Diamond - Jacket in regt Museum.
12th Bn. D.L.I. green/red/green square with central green disc, felt.
13th Bn. D.L.I. red left/green diamond, felt. This may have been a company indicator with the Red/Green in various positions as photos exist of red over green and green over red also.
14th Bn. D.L.I. dark green triangle, 3 inch base X 2 inch sides, felt. Worn on the back of the tunic
15th Bn. D.L.I. green inverted triangle, 2 inch top X 3 inch sides, felt.
18th Bn. D.L.I.a red rectangle sewn on dark green rectangle, felt.
18th Bn. D.L.I.b red bottom/white diagonal 1 inch square, felt.

19th Bn. D.L.I Rectangle Colour?

20th Bn D.L.I. a RED SQUARE
22nd Bn. D.L.I. green left/red disc, 1 inch diam, felt.

regards

John

The colours for the 1/6th 1/8th and 1/9th diamonds were red, slate blue, and emerald green respectively (there are examples of these in the IWM's insignia collection). The fourth unit in the 151st Brigade, 50th Division, serving alongside these was the 1/5th Border Regiment which wore a yellow diamond. However in February 1918 with the reorganisations that reduced brigades to 3 battalions the 1/9th DLI and 1/5th Border left the Brigade and on 12/2/18 the 1/5th DLI moved to 151st Brigade from 150th where is had worn the blue square mentioned in John's post. The 1/5th DLI would have been the senior battalion in the brigade and, to conform with the brigade scheme of patches, should have assumed the yellow diamond to identify it.

This is the only explanation I can think of for a DLI uniform to have a yellow diamond on it, but I have no proof of this by way of a verified example. There were other instances of movements between brigades where patches were changed to conform to the brigade / divisional scheme, one I can think of is in the 36th (Ulster) Division and so I think that my hypothesis re the change is a reasonable explanation but I won't throw my toys out of my pram if you reject it !!!

Mike

Hi,

That sounds very good to me I hadn't tracked down the colours for 151 Brigade.

Do you know what colour 9/DLI wore when pioneers of 62nd Div in Germany. see the attached photo.

regards

John

post-27843-0-10072700-1401632295_thumb.j

John

I don't have any solid reference re the 1/19th DLI as the 62nd Div's pioneer battalion. The division had not had a designated pioneer battalion before the 1/9th joined in February 1918 so I would think, but can't be certain, that they kept their emerald green diamonds as they were sufficiently different from the darker green diamonds of the 2/5th Y & L in 187th Brigade of the division.

Mike

Thanks for the info chaps. Much appreciated as always. I'll let the curator know.

2/6th DLI wore a yellow diamond when they served with 59th Division in 1918. The was an example of a jacket with this insignia on display at the museum, and it may still be there.

1/9th DLI did retain the green diamond - although smaller and a lighter shade of green - when serving as Pioneer Battalion to 62nd Division. Again, I recall seeing a jacket to the battalion being used as a teaching aid when I was on a work experience placement at the museum in 1988.