Remembered Today:

Royal Irish Rifles

Ann Marie

Hi,

My Great-granduncle was Michael Mills, 8379, !st Battalion with the Royal Irish Rifles. He died 1/7/1916 and is remembered at Thiepval Cemetery.

Through my own research, I managed to source the above information as we had nothing to go on in the beginning. I managed to also get a copy of his medal card and also his Will of which I am very pleased.

My father is heading out in September on a battlefield tour with a stop at Thiepval and I was wondering if I am missing out on acquiring any further information on Michael Mills? Michael was born in Kingstown, Dublin.

I also understand that his brother Samuel fought in WW1 and survived the War. I know there was a Samuel Mills, 6277 in the Royal Irish Rifles but I have been unable to obtain any information as to where this Samuel was from to see if it is our Samuel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would love my father to have all information possible.

Kind regards,

Ann Marie Fair

County Wicklow

Ireland

Lots more to get

1. His Birth cert from Irish Gen Registrar

2. War Diary of 1st R Irish Rifles from TNA. Buy online at £3.30 here click . It will detail what the battalion were doing at the time of his death.

2. 1901 and 1911 census records click here

4. See what you can get from their museum click here

5. Buy a copy of James W. Taylor. The 1st Royal Irish Rifles in the Great War. Four Courts Press (2002). click here

Hello Ann Marie and welcome to the Forum. When I get a chance I will have a look re. Samuel Mills. Have you checked Monkstown, Co. Dublin in the 1911 Ireland Census to see if perhaps Samuel and Michael might have been living at the same address? On "Eddie's Extracts" Roll of Honour - Soldiers Died in the Great War - Michael is mentioned:

Rifleman Michael Mills, born Kingstown, enlisted Dublin, lived in Monkstown, Co Dublin, commemorated Thiepval Memorial.

Anne

Corisande has beaten me with the Census and I had meant to say about the War Diary!!!

Edited by anneca

Lots more to get

1. His Birth cert from Irish Gen Registrar

2. War Diary of 1st R Irish Rifles from TNA. Buy online at £3.30 here click . It will detail what the battalion were doing at the time of his death.

2. 1901 and 1911 census records click here

4. See what you can get from their museum click here

5. Buy a copy of James W. Taylor. The 1st Royal Irish Rifles in the Great War. Four Courts Press (2002). click here

Thank you very much for the above information. I do have Michael's birth cert and found him only on the 1901 census. No record of him on the Irish census for 1911. I really appreciate the other links and will follow the up now. Kind regards, Ann Marie

If he is not in 1911 Irish census, then try English census for 1911, it lists Overseas army soldiers, and he may have been a pre war regular

Hello Ann Marie and welcome to the Forum. When I get a chance I will have a look re. Samuel Mills. Have you checked Monkstown, Co. Dublin in the 1911 Ireland Census to see if perhaps Samuel and Michael might have been living at the same address? On "Eddie's Extracts" Roll of Honour - Soldiers Died in the Great War - Michael is mentioned:

Rifleman Michael Mills, born Kingstown, enlisted Dublin, lived in Monkstown, Co Dublin, commemorated Thiepval Memorial.

Anne

Corisande has beaten me with the Census and I had meant to say about the War Diary!!!

Thank you for adding me. Samuel and Michael are both on the 1901 census and I have found Michael on the 1911 census but not Samuel.

I meant to say I had a copy of Michael's name mentioned in the Roll of Honour book.

I would really appreciate any feedback on Samuel Mills as we have hit a brick wall here!

If he is not in 1911 Irish census, then try English census for 1911, it lists Overseas army soldiers, and he may have been a pre war regular

Thank you. Will do!

Yes if you look at his MIC he landed in France in Nov 1914, so the probability is that he was serving pre-war

And.. 1911 census shows him in R Irish Rifles at ALEXANDER BARRACKS MAYMYO BURMA

Yes if you look at his MIC he landed in France in Nov 1914, so the probability is that he was serving pre-war

And.. 1911 census shows him in R Irish Rifles at ALEXANDER BARRACKS MAYMYO BURMA

Thank you again!

I took a look at the UK Census last night but could not find him. Is there a particular link for finding him?

I bought the War Diary online for my Dad so lovely bedtime reading for him. He will also buy the book you recommended so thank you again for all your help.

Hi,

My Great-granduncle was Michael Mills, 8379, !st Battalion with the Royal Irish Rifles. He died 1/7/1916 and is remembered at Thiepval Cemetery.

Through my own research, I managed to source the above information as we had nothing to go on in the beginning. I managed to also get a copy of his medal card and also his Will of which I am very pleased.

My father is heading out in September on a battlefield tour with a stop at Thiepval and I was wondering if I am missing out on acquiring any further information on Michael Mills? Michael was born in Kingstown, Dublin.

I also understand that his brother Samuel fought in WW1 and survived the War. I know there was a Samuel Mills, 6277 in the Royal Irish Rifles but I have been unable to obtain any information as to where this Samuel was from to see if it is our Samuel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would love my father to have all information possible.

Kind regards,

Ann Marie Fair

County Wicklow

Ireland

Hi Ann Marie,

I have a B&B on the Somme not far from where the RIR fought, I have taken 4 Irish families out recently and taken them through the RIR actions, so if your Father wants any guidance or support drop me an email.

Regards

Dave Platt

daveplatt.dp@googlemail.com

Or

Beaumonthamelview.com

FindMyPast reference

It will only work if you have a sub to FMP. If you are using Ancestry, I am afraid you will have to find how to get at Overseas Military in 1911 census

FindMyPast reference

It will only work if you have a sub to FMP. If you are using Ancestry, I am afraid you will have to find how to get at Overseas Military in 1911 census

I know someone who has a subscription to findmypast so will ask for their help. Thanks again!

Hi Ann Marie,

I have a B&B on the Somme not far from where the RIR fought, I have taken 4 Irish families out recently and taken them through the RIR actions, so if your Father wants any guidance or support drop me an email.

Regards

Dave Platt

daveplatt.dp@googlemail.com

Or

Beaumonthamelview.com

Hi Dave,

Thank you for posting up your details and I will pass them on to my Dad. I know he is booked on an organised tour for a few days so time might be limited but perhaps I will look you up when in France next. If Dad has any questions in advance of his trip I will suggest he emails you.

Kind Regards, Ann Marie

Ann Marie, sorry but I have found nothing further regarding Samuel Mills. Good luck with your search.

Anne

Ann Marie, sorry but I have found nothing further regarding Samuel Mills. Good luck with your search.

Anne

Hi Anne,

Not to worry. Thank you for taking the time to look on my behalf. it is much appreciated.

Regards, Ann Marie

• 1 month later...

Do you know his date of birth or the names of his parents?

This is alI have so far.

Mills 8379 Rfn Michael. Born at Kingstown, Co. Dublin. Resided at Monkstown. To BEF with 1st RIR, 5.11.1914. In his will he left everything to his sister, Mrs Sarah Nolan, Merrion Railway Cottages, Co. Dublin. Will witnessed by 9695 Rfn Stephen Kennedy. KIA 1.7.1916. Thiepval Memorial. The 1911 Census shows Rfn Michael Mills, age 26, born in Co. Cork, serving with 1st RIR in Burma.

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

Samuel Mills, private 6277 served with the 11th Battalion of the Royal Irish Rifles. Could anyone tell me where he may have signed up please?

From what I have read the 11th Battalion was formed from the South Antrim Volunteers and my thoughts are that he may have signed up in Belfast, even though he was from Dublin. Is there any way of confirming this please?

Many thanks,

Ann Marie