Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

NOTTINGHAM & DERBYSHIRE REGIMENT

josquin

Any information will be greatly appreciated concerning Pte. John Mason, Nottingham & Derbyshire Regiment, who enlisted

in August, 1914. Biographical details (birthdate, birthplace, prewar and postwar life) and postings are all of interest.

Regards,

Trelawney

Pte. John Mason No 72986 N&D enlisted 5/1/15 ??

Where did you get the enlistment date August 1914?

Johnboy,

The RAF Muster Roll (April 1918) listed J. Mason's enlistment date as August, 1914, and his service number as 402765.

His MIC lists N & D Pte 2784 and RAF Pte 402765, which matches the service number for a service record in AIr 79

(707/77879) at the National Archives. Perhaps more than one John Mason; regrettably, no source I have seen gives

the battalion posting. If John Mason 72986 is the only man with that name with N & D Great War service, it is a place

to start--so thank you for that.

Trelawney

I'll have another look using service no 2784.

Did he have a middle name?

Sorry. No luck with a service record.

Perhaps if you look for men from N&D with service numbers + or - 150 of his you might get an idea as to where he enlisted. This might narrow down where he lived.

2748 John Mason - I cannot find him on medal rolls. (I do not have M-Z for 14/15 star roll)

2742 Smithhurst was 1st battalion and joined up in 1908 but also 2742 - 1/6th Baker who enlisted 13/10/1914

2754 joined 21/9/1914 which would tie in with Mason but I have no battalion. Might be worth checking him out - Arthur Hunt.

It does seem to look good for a Sept/Oct enlistment date.

He is listed on the N&D nominal roll as - Mason J, 2748, RAF 402765 which means he did go overseas with them and is on the 14/15 star roll. 14/15 N&D rolls at Kew may have him and I would check there.

There are battalions we might rule out but we still have a large number to choose from. Does his medal index card have a date of entry into theatre?

Steve M

Given that he has a 4 digit number and if he did enlist in Sept/Oct 1914, I would think he was in a TF battalion.

Local newspapers may also be of help once you find a birthplace.

Steve

ps - he was not in the 9th battalion, so only 20 odd to choose from!