Remembered Today:

Leather rifle slings

Guest bergflak

Guest bergflak

Hi to all, and my first post in this part of the wood.

My field of interest is mainly WW2 German stuff, but a recent buy sends me backwards in time to seek information

During WW2 the Wehrmacht was constantly short of weapons, which in turn forced them to reuse all and everything they could lay their hands on in the occupied countries.These guns ended up in low priority countries like Norway (where I live). I recently aquired a nice lot of leather slings directly from German Beutewaffen and I am now trying to identify what rifles they came off. Some are easy, like the Hembrug slings (strictly not WW1, as the Netherlands were neutral), but most of these slings leave me non the wiser. Finding good answers from internet pictures has also proved wanting, as the same sling can be pictured on weapons from different nations. So I hope to find some help among the Great War expertise here!

The first sling is a broad variety. Most of these have a brass button, and all have the large flat buckle. All of them are stamped with "A" and a two digit number inside a square.post-110955-0-58910500-1401486519_thumb.

Welcome to the forum,

Slings are often a difficult subject to investigate, your sling has the general appearance of a French sling for the Lebel/Berthier rifles.

khaki

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting sling. I've seen a number of french slings, though not certainly all were of WWI vintage. This sling does have some resemblence to a Lebel but the buckle and the underside stitching on the second picture doesn't look right compared to those I have and have seen. It is definitely not a Gew98 sling, as i have a 1916 dated one for reference - very different buckle and sling width, swivel attachments, etc.

Something about it makes me think its Belgian, but just a guess.

T