Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pen & Sword

paulgranger

A large number of P&S's titles are available in Kindle format, downloadable directly from their site, at what appears to be a universal price of £4.99. This isn't necessarily cheap, but it does seem to better the price that Amazon are charging for the same books, in a lot of cases, e.g Ray Westlake's British Battalions in France 1914, and Jack Sheldon's German Army on the Western Front 1915. Worth a browse.

It was even better when they were offering 2 for the price of 1 a while back!

It was, and I dipped my bucket in that well a couple of times!

It was even better when they were offering 2 for the price of 1 a while back!

Although not if one was looking forward to author royalties.

And not to download from an address outside the UK. For some bizarre reason I can only download from Amazon.com, and not from Amazon.co.uk

By "I", I mean anyone outside the UK.

The explanation is a bit like that given by the BBC for not being able to use Iplayer TV from outside the UK.

"You can't. So there"

Although not if one was looking forward to author royalties.

True, John, but I did download far more books at a price point of £2.50 than I would have done at £4.99. If others do the same, maybe it does profit the authors?

All profit is good, Alan.

But when your royalty payment is, say, 10% of sale price, you need to sell quite a number of Kindle copies to reach the royalty of a twenty quid hardback.

But, as I suspect most folk realise, there's really only the "big names" make proper profit. Most of us, writing the history of our pet battalion, are fortunate if we recoup the money we spent going to Belguim/France to take the photographs.

Hear, hear, John.

If we were in it for the dosh we`d have to write fiction...

Bernard

All profit is good, Alan.

But when your royalty payment is, say, 10% of sale price, you need to sell quite a number of Kindle copies to reach the royalty of a twenty quid hardback.

But, as I suspect most folk realise, there's really only the "big names" make proper profit. Most of us, writing the history of our pet battalion, are fortunate if we recoup the money we spent going to Belguim/France to take the photographs.

Kindle give authors 70% of cover price.

Paper publishers rarely give more than 10% and many not even that.