Remembered Today:

Battle of the Frontiers - 12 part series FREE ONLINE

SteveMarsdin

Good evening All,

There's a new 12 part series starting this Friday, 30 May, broadcast on the regional Belgian television channel TV Lux, on The Battle of the Frontiers:

http://www.tvlux.be/un-jour-en-enfer

It won't be "big budget" as it's a very small operation but will include local experts and shots of the localities., You can normally access their programmes on their website, from the UK, a few days after they're broadcast.

Why not have a look ?

Seems like a good start to the series. Lots of contemporary footage and photographs, and VERY downloadable.

Keith

Thanks for that Keith. I wasn't expecting the first episode to be available so quickly.

It might be low budget but I think the 12 short episodes will give a good insight into the relatively unknown Battles, with plenty of period photos and modern shots of the localities it will hopefully prompt people to look further.

The link in the opening post also now allows access to the first episode, so why not watch it now !?!

The first episode is just over 17 minutes, and after a brief introduction to WW1 quickly covers the period in the Belgian Province du Luxembourg up to the 22 August. Obviously in 17 minutes you don't get an in depth study but it does include interesting snippets on Henri Sebald of the 23rd Dragoons (the first French soldier to be killed in Belgium) and the early sorties of Commandant de Rose who later created and developed the French "aviation de chasse" at Verdun.

The second episode was equally informative and educational, but the re-enactments leave something to be desired !

Keith

Hi Keith,

The re-enactments in Mussy did seem a bit amateurish (I am sure the series will feature further pieces in other villages) and the uniforms may not be exact but this sort of street theatre is how a lot of the local inhabitants help perpetuate the memory of what happened in 1914. in many cases the actors have family who were executed and they are very passionate about ensuring that the history of the atrocities isn't forgotten.

For those of you who are also interested:

This episode covered events in an around Baranzy, Musson and Mussy: including snippets on shooting and taking of hostages; the local disaffected cemetery, the vestiges of which can still be seen today; the joint French-German cemetery at Baranzy.

The original link in the opening post still works but I've repeated it here: http://www.tvlux.be/un-jour-en-enfer

This Friday's episode is about the Battle of Ethe

Another heads up for this regional series of short programmes.

http://www.tvlux.be/un-jour-en-enfer

The Ethe programme had a very brief summary of the battle before features on the local museum, how the memory is perpetuated, and the various atrocities committed at the time. It is only about 17 minutes long and can be viewed online free of charge. the link above directs you to a page where all the episodes shown so far continue to be available.

Thanks for posting the link - looks interesting and will have a watch if I get a chance.

Thanks again

Ant

Good evening,

Another heads up about this regional TV production, available to view online now.

Last week's was on Virton: a brief summary of the battle is followed by pieces on local (war) artist Nestor Outer, "soupe de guerre", the franco-german cemeteries and a specially commissioned oratorio that will be performed for the first time during the commemorations later this year.

This week's is already available and is on Bellefontaine: a brief summary of the battle is followed by pieces on the Collard brothers, executed for spying in 1918 (interestingly, working for the British); monuments to the civilians killed; the franco-german cemetery and an interview with my friend Rene Bastin about the impact of the 22 August and life under occupation.

Ant, I am sure you'll find the short programmes worthwhile.

• 2 weeks later...

All episodes continue to be available to view, free online.

Last Friday's was on Rossignol. After a brief synopsis of the battle there were features on: the rounding up of over 100 villagers, who were the transported to Arlon and shot in batches of 10, just outside the railway station (on the 26th August); the influential French writer Psichari (he was killed at Rossignol; the Colonial Corps and other memorials and what local schoolchildren are doing to help commemorate the events.

The next one has been added and they're all still available on line.

It covers the Battle of Neufchateau, which involved the 5e Brigade of the Colonial Corps and two German reserve divisions. It lasts 14 minutes and after the usual brief introduction to the actual battle includes pieces on notable combatants, cemeteries and the Battle of Hamipre/Longlier on 20 August 1914

Only just spotted this, Steve. Thanks for posting, I`ll check it out while I still have two days left off work. :thumbsup: