Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Corporal Hector Innes

Frank Rutherford

The Liddesdale Heritage Centre in Newcastleton in the Scottish Borders is staging an exhibition to commemorate the Great War and are looking for inforation about Corporal Hector Innes of the Seaforth Highlanders (formerly of the Scots Greys). We understand that he was awarded the Military Medal and the Croix de Guerre. Any help in our search would be gratefully received.

Many thanks, Frank Rutherford

Frank

Welcome to the Forum !

There is not a lot to find among the records as they were severely reduced by bombing in 1940.

The Long Long Trail here at top left of this page shows that 8 Battalion Seaforth Highlanders landed in France in July 1915,which ties in with the month if not the date of Hector's first landing as shown on his Medal Index Card,8 July. You can confirm which Battalion by looking at the original Medal Roll which is at the National Archives under reference WO329/2797 page 245 (this is the ref for his 1914-15 Star issue) in the Discovery database,but which needs to be viewed on site at Kew as it is not yet digital.This would be necessary just in case he landed as a replacement for another unit already in France prior to his landing.

The Medal Card refers to his service numbers as 3792 Corps of Dragoons (maybe the Scots Greys ?)and later S/10307 Seaforths. It also refers to his winning an MM,but again the citations for MM were also bombed in 1940,though it is possible that his unit War Diary may have some reference to this action. You may be able to narrow down when he was cited for it by searching the London Gazette for a date,which would be published there around theree months after his award.

The Medal Card also refers to him being demobbed,but no date shown,so at least he made it through.

If your man served with 8 Battalion Seaforths there are 11 War Diaries available to digitally download from the NA Discovery database,but you need to be sure of that to begin with ! The first one is here just as a starter should you need it:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C14053636

It would be worth looking for him in the 1911 Census.

Many thanks to you all - you have certainly given me plenty to think about. Are there any records available on Croix de Guerre awards?

Frank.

Have you tried asking the family? I'm guessing that he is an ancestor of Hector Innes whose photography business is still in the square at Kelso.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this suggestion. I've emailed Hector Innes the photographer in Kelso - as yet, without reply.

Frank.

Hector Innes,24, postman (Private 10307, 2nd Battalion, Seaforth Highlanders) at 18 Lothian Street, Hawick (presently on active service),married Elizabeth Mary

Elliott, 20, of Douglas Square, Newcastleton on 12th June 1916. The minister was Alexander Lowe B.D. Minister of the North United Free Church, Newcastleton.

I'm not sure if you need this now.

If your man was a postman. Ancestry (I think, if not findmypast!) have the Post Office appointment books available online. While they are not guaranteed to tell you exactly when someone left the army, you know that at least by that time they had left the army.

R.

• 3 months later...
Guest robertjinnes

Hello Frank,

This is likely to be a bit late for the exhibition, but I am Corporal Hector Innes's grandson. I don't know whether you managed to get hold of anyone else in the family who may have had more information. I have very little, I'm afraid, but would very much like to find out more, but I can share what I know. There was an article in a local newspaper at the time and we have a copy of a part of that. I think it's part as it is very short!

My wife and I have just moved into the Scottish Borders from the south of England although I'm originally from Edinburgh. I'm interested to know if I'm related to the photographer in Kelso!

One thing that we both recall is that the Seaforth Highlanders was absorbed into another regiment at some point (as many were!) and that could make the trail difficult to follow.

Sorry I can't help much more than that but please come back to me.

Best regards

Robert Innes

• 2 years later...

Hi , I too am a Grandson of Hector , my mother is still alive and would love to know what deed her dad did to receive the croix de guerre . Would the French have information about this ? Many thanks