Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd (Reserve) Battalion, East Yorkshire Regiment

tootrock

The 3rd (Reserve) Battalion, East Yorkshire Regiment, was a training unit, and remained in the UK throughout the war. (The Long, Long, Trail)

However it appears to have a War Diary at TNA (WO 95/5459).

I thought War Diaries only existed for Battalions that served overseas.

Since this diary has not yet been digitised, and I am not planning on visiting Kew in the near future, has anyone ever looked at this document, and if so could they enlighten me as to what it contains.

Thanks in anticipation,

Martin

HI,

Not seen it, but would suspect its a record of comings and goings from the 3rd Special Reserve not a true War Diary, I have detailed numbers from other publications so could well have been sent to Command/Records.

Regards Charles

• 3 months later...

Yesterday I visited the NA and took the opportunity to have a look at WO 95/5459.

It is indeed a record of the daily activities of the battalion, written on the normal pre-printed sheets, but what was amazing is that a separate sheet was used for each day.

The diary runs from September 1914 until December 1917.

Each page contains very little information.

The one I was interested in merely states "The following proceeded on leave prior to joining BEF", and then gives the names of 6 officers.

Other pages give details of training exercises, courts of enquiry, etc.

Martin

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I've been trying to get a copy of this diary today as my friends great grandad was posted with the 3rd East Yorkshire Regiment when he was "unfit for war"

But he wasn't there until March 1918 till he was demobilised on 17th May 1919.

From what you've written the diary finishes before this date anyway?

I was wanting the diary so that I could build up an idea of what everyday life would have been like there, the training they did, sports activities etc

Would anyone have any other suggestions? Any books I should look at?

I tried to look at the newspapers for the area to see if any events were mentioned but nothing came up other than regular notices telling the residents of Withensea of night time light exercises.