Remembered Today:

1st Bn Connaught Rangers

Tom Tulloch-Marshall

Location of 1st Bn Connaught Rangers last few days of August 1915 ? - Near Ypres ?

(I have a burial which on the face of it looks strange).

Tom

Unit history has them moving to trenches near St.Vaast and Rue Du Bois on the 25th August.They had been in billets at L'Epinette from the 16th to the 25th August.

Rue du Bois sector, Tom. Front line of 600 yards extending from Estaires-La Bassee road southwards. Sounds like Port Arthur and down a bit. It is named as St-Vaast in the war diary.

... trenches near St.Vaast and Rue Du Bois on the 25th August.

Rue du Bois sector, Tom. Front line of 600 yards extending from Estaires-La Bassee road southwards. Sounds like Port Arthur and down a bit. It is named as St-Vaast in the war diary.

Thanks - that explains things. Enquiry is from a TV company who say he was killed at Ypres. Thought it was odd when I checked for a burial and found him at Cabaret Rouge BC. (Burials from the Loos towards Laventie area at Cabaret Rouge aren't too unusual - Ypres would obviously have been extraordinary). I shall proceed with care !

Tom

Can you name the man Tom? And/or provide details of the TV company interest?

Thanks

John

Can you name the man Tom? And/or provide details of the TV company interest?

Thanks

John

John - not on-forum. PM me if you have a particular interest or more info.

Tom

Tom,

I don't have the option to PM you. Probably don't have anything to add but I'm interested in all Connaught Rangers and intrigued by your reference to a TV company.

John

... near St.Vaast and Rue Du Bois on the 25th August.They had been in billets at L'Epinette from the 16th to the 25th August.

... It is named as St-Vaast in the war diary.

The St Vaast area is correct - I now know exactly where the man was originally buried, but the new info has thrown up a further mystery / problem. Do the unit history or diaries give any dated record of deaths in the battalion between the 15th and 30th of August 1915 ? (stuck at home at the moment - cant access anything :( )

Tom

Only one death in the War Diary for that period -

27th August. St. Vaast. (Rue du Bois).
Guns fired at and dispersed a German working party about 10.30 PM. Otherwise all quiet during the day.
1 Killed. 3 Wounded. 1 Hospital. 3 from Hospital.
John

The MO's war diary also records only the one death -

27th August 1915. Orchard & Crescent Trenches.
One man killed by a rifle bullet through the heart.

The unit history records 3 killed between 16th August and 12th September (no specific date for any of these deaths though) but the MO war diary records 5 killed in that period.

Only one death in the War Diary for that period -

27th August. St. Vaast. (Rue du Bois).

Guns fired at and dispersed a German working party about 10.30 PM. Otherwise all quiet during the day.
1 Killed. 3 Wounded. 1 Hospital. 3 from Hospital.

The MO's war diary also records only the one death -

27th August 1915. Orchard & Crescent Trenches.

One man killed by a rifle bullet through the heart.

The unit history records 3 killed between 16th August and 12th September (no specific date for any of these deaths though) but the MO war diary records 5 killed in that period.

John - it might not come as a great surprise to hear that SDITGW contradicts the above - then the CWGC records contradict the above and the SDITGW database, - then the two exhumation records which I have seen contradict both the CWGC and SDITGW databases :w00t:

That'll remain a mystery then.

Tom

Tom,

No surprise, I'd seen the contradictions but put them down to died of wounds as opposed to KIA, and assumed that these men DoW's away from the front line and so not mentioned in the war diary's. The man who died of wounds at home and was then buried in Merville Communal Cemetery I assume must be a mistake by SDGW. The exhumation records you mention - are these generally available from CWGC or TNA, etc.? I've never come across one myself.

John

John - Its all a great example of just how fragile our reliance on "official" records actually is. I'll PM you some additional information in due course.

Tom