Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BBC Music Magazine June 2014

MichaelBully

A Facebook pal has highlighted the latest issue of BBC Music Magazine of June 2014-subtitled ' The Musical Legacy of World War One-Why classical music could never be the same after 1914' includes

The composers Who Died

Musicians' Letters Home

The Arrival of Jazz

Free CD that features two pieces by Ivor Gurney and one by Frank Bridge.

http://www.classical-music.com/magazine/current-issue/bbc-music-magazine

A Facebook pal has highlighted the latest issue of BBC Music Magazine of June 2014-subtitled ' The Musical Legacy of World War One-Why classical music could never be the same after 1914' includes

The composers Who Died

Musicians' Letters Home

The Arrival of Jazz

Free CD that features two pieces by Ivor Gurney and one by Frank Bridge.

http://www.classical-music.com/magazine/current-issue/bbc-music-magazine

Some really interesting articles Michael. The CD is a particular bonus as one of the Gurney pieces is a first recording. I know a number of other Forum Pals enjoyed the recent BBC 4 documentary on Gurney (there was a thread in this area) and I am sure they will be equally interested in this magazine.

David

Hello David

Yes have treated myself to a copy and the CD is indeed magnificent. It's particularly exciting to hear Ivor Gurney's 'A Gloucestershire Rhapsody ' - which sadly was never performed during his lifetime.

Haven't got round to reading much of the magazine yet.

Regards

EDIT : Have posted this thread address to recent Gurney documentary thread http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=209049&page=2

Some really interesting articles Michael. The CD is a particular bonus as one of the Gurney pieces is a first recording. I know a number of other Forum Pals enjoyed the recent BBC 4 documentary on Gurney (there was a thread in this area) and I am sure they will be equally interested in this magazine.

David

I managed to get a copy this morning. Looking forward to listening to the CD.

I managed to get a copy this morning. Looking forward to listening to the CD.

I must admit I thought of you Ian when I saw the magazine, following our chat about Gurney after the TV programme. I presume this is one of those pieces suppressed/hidden after his death that you were telling me about

David

Did I see something about Ruhrleben in the link? Or did I imagine it?

Pete.

Pete

You didn't imagine it, the magazine included an article on the musicians in Ruhrleben.

David

Pete

You didn't imagine it, the magazine included an article on the musicians in Ruhrleben.

David

Thanks mate; as four of my footballers and my great uncle Herbert spent most of the war in the camp I think I should invest in a copy.

Pete,