Remembered Today:

Black Watch sporran?

davidrobb149

Hi all, bit new to this. I have recently been given my Great Grandfathers kilt and sporran...he was a drummer in the Black Watch during WW1. The kilt is in not to bad condition, just needs a few repairs and buckles. My question though is about the sporran....it is white with 2 black tassels, and I thought the Black Watch had 5. There are holes in the leather for another 3...would they have been removed or is this just something that may have happened over time? I can't see any marking on the sporran other than a very faint mark which we think may be 'Lawnmarket,, Edinburgh'

Thanks for any info!

Hi all, bit new to this. I have recently been given my Great Grandfathers kilt and sporran...he was a drummer in the Black Watch during WW1. The kilt is in not to bad condition, just needs a few repairs and buckles. My question though is about the sporran....it is white with 2 black tassels, and I thought the Black Watch had 5. There are holes in the leather for another 3...would they have been removed or is this just something that may have happened over time? I can't see any marking on the sporran other than a very faint mark which we think may be 'Lawnmarket,, Edinburgh'

Thanks for any info!

It would help if you could post a photo. Then we could assist you.

This sporran is of a very strange configuration. It has two black tassels instead of the five "brushes" worn by The Black Watch. Further, the purse is in green leather, very unusual. I am inclined to say that the sporran has been refitted for civilian use. The cantle appears to be silvered (if the photo is reflecting true color) indicating a Territorial battalion as worn by sergeants and pipers.

Do you know your GGF's battalion and rank?

That's very interesting...as far as we know he was a drummer-I also have a pair of wooden drumsticks that were from him. I do remember on his 90th birthday some of the Black Watch band came to his nursing home and he got to play the big bass drum sitting in a chair! I'll have to dig out the picture my mother has as it shows the sporran with 5 tassels.

She did some research but didn't get very far as I think a lot of records were destroyed in WW2. As he was from Cupar in Fife we assumed he would have joined the closest one-I think the 7th Territorial was from Fife? We also believe that he was in the band that took party in the Victory march in Paris. I'll try and get my mother to send me a scan of that picture. Thanks for everything so far!

Further to that....he was a founding member of Cupar and District Pipe Band after the war, do yes, maybe he did alter the sporran. I think the camera flash may have made the leather look greener-the body is distinctly brown/black, just the underside of the flap seems green.

Ok, for anyone interested there are 2 more pictures in the folder shared above...one is a family picture, the other is a copy of a picture that was damaged. I see that the sporran in both was different to the one I have!

Ok, for anyone interested there are 2 more pictures in the folder shared above...one is a family picture, the other is a copy of a picture that was damaged. I see that the sporran in both was different to the one I have!

The sporran your GGF is wearing in the two additional pictures you have posted is definitely not the one you have. Notice the leather cantle in the uniform photos. I think the sporran you have was his Cupar and District Pipe Band sporran. It makes sense that he was in the 7th (Fife) Bn Black Watch TF.

Thanks both for the info...dundeesown-do you have any other pictures or information....or know where I can research it?

Gordon92-yes, the cantle is silvered...am I right in saying it is the Black Watch badge on it?

Thanks both for the info...dundeesown-do you have any other pictures or information....or know where I can research it?

Gordon92-yes, the cantle is silvered...am I right in saying it is the Black Watch badge on it?

The cantle on the sporran you have is of Black Watch design as worn by officers, sergeants, and pipers. Other Ranks wore the leather cantle.

I can only see one Duncan Munro of the Black Watch in the medal index cards on Ancestry + I have had a look for him in the service & pension records but no joy but as they say never say never.

Gary

The cantle on the sporran you have is of Black Watch design as worn by officers, sergeants, and pipers. Other Ranks wore the leather cantle.

Was that pipers only or the whole pipe band?

Was that pipers only or the whole pipe band?

Only the pipers.

Just for interest , do you know when he joined up? My great uncle was in the 7th batallion Black Watch and he was also from Cupar;

Mags

Not sure yet when he joined up... now trying to find out if he ended as a sergeant or maybe 'borrowed' the sporran I have. Mags- do you have any more info on your relative?

McANDREW, WILLIAM

Private

Service No:

S/40020

Date of Death:

26/03/1918

Regiment/Service:

Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)

7th Bn.

Panel Reference

Bay 6.

Memorial

ARRAS MEMORIAL

Hi David

this is about the only info I have on him, I have a copy of his will that is still in the archives in Glasgow, so I think he must have joined up about August 1916.

mags

Thanks Mags....looks v interesting...I'll have to persuade my Mum to go on Facebook!

Need to get a picture of the badge I have into the folder as well, to see what kind it is-whether cap badge or something else.

Thanks to all for their help so far!

Hi David,

The sporran is of a configuration, and tassel type, as worn by certain volunteer battalions of the Black Watch in the pre-TF period (and into it). The metal cantle would be worn by officers, sergeants and pipers.

Thanks Tom...still trying to figure this out as as far s we know he was a drummer, and unsure if he was a private or got promoted at some point to sergeant. Pardon my ignorance...pre-TF period?

Thanks,David

Tom-also did you see the picture of him in uniform....wearing the 'normal' Black Watch sporran....

David,

Pre-TF is pre-Territorial Force. The Territorial Force came about in 1908 and was the successor to the Volunteer Battalions. See Picture [subject to Crown Copyright].

post-10175-0-70141300-1401307821_thumb.j