Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Squadron Look Ups

chrisharley9

Hi Chris,

Would you be able to tell me the whereabouts of 7 Squadron RFC in 1917 (particularly from October to December), what they were up to and what sort of aeroplanes they flew?

I don't know if you have access to such info, but I'd also be very interested to hear if you come across any reference to a 2nd Lt S. S. Wright R.F.C. who was with this squadron, and a 2nd Lieutenant Raymond John Heelas who was attached to 7 Squadron in October 1917 from 5th Siege Battery RGA.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Steve

I'd also be very interested to hear if you come across any reference to a 2nd Lt S. S. Wright R.F.C. who was with this squadron.

Steve

2Lt Steven Sydney Wright DCM was the observer in RE 8 B5048 of No 7 Sqn RAF, flown by Lt Alfred Stanley Naylor Coombe, when they were shot down over Hazebrouck while on an Offensive Patrol on 17 April 1918; both airmen were killed in action and have no known grave. According to The Sky Their Battlefield Ltn Georg Schlenker of Jasta 41 was credited with a victory, it was his 17th and last victory of the War. However, Above the Lines indicates that Schlenker's RE 8 victory that day was B830 from No 4 Sqn.

I hope that this is useful.

Gareth

Hello Chris,

I am hoping that you are still doing look-ups! I have the name of 2nd Lieut J. Spencer Mitchell on a War Memorial I am researching. He was a member of 70th Squadron and was killed on October 5, 1916. I would welcome any information you might have about him and his squadron/aeroplane.

Regards,

Grant

Steve,

7 Squadron - 6/2/1917 - to Moreuil; 15/4/17 - to Matigny with a detachment at Nesle; 23/5/17 - to Proven until 13/4/18. On BE2e/f/g until MayJune 17; RE8 from May 17.

Best wishes,

David

Hi Grant,

According to Chris Hobson's "Men Who Died . . . ." 2nd Lt Joseph Spencer Mitchell was killed in a flying accident whilst flying Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter number A1918

Steve

David and Steve,

Thank you both for your help. Would any additional information be available about the cirumstances of the accident and the history of 70 Squadron?

Best wishes,

Grant

70 Squadron

Formed South Farnborough 22/4/16 on 1 1/2 Strutters. A Flt to Fienvillers 31/5/16; B Flt to same 3/7/16; C Flt to same 1/8/16.

Sqn to Auchel 16/12/16, to Vert Galand 2/3/17, to Fienvillers 2/4/17, to Boisdinghem 14/5/17, to Liettres 27/6/17, to Poperinghe 8/9/17, to Marieux 15/3/18, to Fienvillers 28/3/18, to Remaisnil 16/4/18, to Boisdinghem 8/7/18, to Esquerdes 1/8/18, to Droglandt 22/9/18, to Menin 23/10/18, to Fort Cognelee 25/11/18.

Camels from June 1917 (I bet that was a relief!!!).

Best wishes,

David

Grant,

Such was the demand for new squadrons on the Western Front that Number 70 squadron flew out to its new base, flight by flight as they were put together, over a two month period. 70 was the first squadron to fly Sopwith Strutters and straight away earned high praise in its service. In the second half of 1916 whilst fighting in the Somme area the squadron lost 27 of its original 36 pilots and observers over a period of only 9 weeks.

Steve

In OTF 21-2 there is a bio of Alfred Ritscher of II MLFA who was flying the plane Albatros CI S.53 with Ltn.z.S. Heinrich Maas as observer who downed Pike. Includes a pictures of Pike and his plane and a account of his downing.

I have now obtained a copy of this issue of "Over the Front", and it has some great information and images about Robert Pike, who is the subject of part of my research. Very many thanks for putting me on to this.

Many thanks, also, to Cnock for his help and the excellent photo.

Michael

Chris, `Et Al, one (of 12) `gong' for 3 Sqdn ;

MALONE John J Killed 30.04.17 Flt.S/Lt. RNAS 85T074 & 075

No. 3 Naval Squadron Field Marshall C-in-C France 23.05.17 Gazetted

R.N.A.S. Officers - France 23-24.04.17 DSO

For successfully attacking and bringing down hostile aircraft on numerous occasions. At about 6.30 a.m., on the 23rd April, 1917, while on patrol between Croisilles and Havincourt he first attacked a hostile scout which he drove down under control. Then a second scout, which, after the pilot had been hit, turned over on its back and went down through the clouds. A third scout attacked by him from a distance of about 20 yards descended completely out of control. While engaging a fourth machine he ran out of ammunition, so returned to the advanced landing ground, replenished his supply, and at once returned and attacked another hostile formation, one of which he forced down out of control. On the afternoon of the 24th April, 1917, he engaged a hostile two-seater machine which after first badly wounding the observer he forced to land on our side of the lines between Morchies and Lourerval. This officer has brought down one machine within our lines and driven down six others , five completely out of control, and one in flames on the enemy side of the lines.

Regards Sadsac

Hello `Et Al' this two (of 12) for 5 Sqdn ;

SPROATT Charles B Canadian Flt.S/Lt. RNAS 85T167

No. 5 Squadron No. 5 Wing Vice Admiral Dover 02.11.17 Gazetted

R.N.A.S. Officers - Bomb Attack on Bruges Docks 4-5.09.17 DSC

He carried out a bombing attack on Bruges Docks on the 4th September, 1917, direct hits being obtained. His machine was shot about and the radiator peirced. he has, in addition, taken part in 26 bombing attacks.

WRIGHT John N/E Flt.S/Lt. RNAS 85T167

No. 5 Squadron No. 5 Wing Vice Admiral Dover 02.11.17 Gazetted

R.N.A.S. Officers - Bomb Attack on Bruges Docks 4-5.09.17 DSC

He carried out a bombing attack on Bruges Docks on the 5th September, 1917, direct hits being obtained. He has, in addition, taken part in 14 bombing attacks.

Sadsac

Chris, `Et Al ' two for 7 Sqdn ;

GIBBS Victor A N/E Flt.S/Lt. RNAS 85T176

No. 7 Squadron No. 4 Wing Vice Admiral Dover 17.11.17 Gazetted

R.N.A.S. Officers - Bomb Raids Stations, Junctions Rail lines 25.09.17 DSC

For services in bombing raids carried out on Stations and Junctions of Lines of Railway Triangle Thourout, Luhtuvelde, and Cortemacke on the 25th September, 1917.

The weather conditions were generally difficult. He made a double trip and good shooting from 3000 feet and below, and was responsible for dropping over 1½ tons of bombs.

In addition, this officer has carried out twenty three nigtht bombing raids.

WAIN William D N/E Lt. RNVR 85T286

No. 7 Squadron Vice Admiral Dover Patrol 26.04.18 Gazetted

R.N.A.S. Officers - Dunkirk 1917 Mentioned in Despatches

For ability as Armament Officer whilst attached to No. 7 Squadron (Night Bombers), between October, 1915, and December, 1917.

Sadsac

`Et Al, boring old me again - for 12 Sqdn ;

ARNOLD Anthony R N/E Sq.Cdr. RNAS 85T288

No. 12 Squadron Vice Admiral Dover Patrol 26.04.18 Gazetted

R.N.A.S. Officers - Dunkirk 1917 DSC

For brilliant work as a pilot and Flight Leader whilst attached to Naval Squadron No. 8, lent to the Royal Flying Corps, from March, 1917.

KOKO Sadsac

15 Apr 1916 former at Montrose from nucleus from 18 RS

19 Apr 1916 to Stirling

30 Aug 1916 to Netheravon

9 Dec 1916 to Northolt

17 Jan 1917 to St Omer

25 Jan 1917 to Treizennes

30 May 1917 to Lozinghem

15 Jan 1918 to La Gorgue

22 Mar 1918 to Avesnes le Comte

03 Jun 1918 to Fouquerolles

21 Jun 1918 to Estree Blanche

14 Jul 1918 to Touquin

02 Aug 1918 to Fienvillers

06 Oct 1918 to Senlis le Sec

31 Oct 1918 to Bouvincourt

15 Nov 1918 to Bisseghem

26 Nov 1918 to Fort Cognelee

19 Dec 1918 to Bickendorf

12 Aug 1919 to Eil

26 Aug 1919 to Spittlegate

30 Sep 1919 reduced to cadre

31 Dec 1919 disbanded

Equipt

May - Aug 1916 AW

Jun - Aug 1916 BE 2C

Jun - Aug 1916 Avro 504

Aug - Dec 1916 Bristol Scout

Nov - Nov 1916 BE 2C

Dec 16 - Sep 1917 One Half Strutter

Sep 17 - Oct 18 - Camel

Aug 18 - Sep 19 Snipe

Chris

• 8 months later...

Looking back through the various threads and came across this one. While a bit late, I'm still hopeful that the author, or perhaps anyone else who'd care to chime in, can provide me with some information about No. 2 Squadron.

Cheers,

Guinness

Guiness, if you mean 2 Sqdn RNAS then here are two awards for same ;

CHAPMAN Cyril DSC Lt. Observer RNAS 85T297

No. 2 Naval Squadron Vice Admiral Dover 26.04.18 Gazetted

R.N.A.S. Officers - Flanders 1918 DSC - bar to

In recognition of his services on the 21st March, 1918, when he carried out successful spotting for the bombardment of Ostend, and for valuable reconnaissances for the Fleet on other occasions when much valuable information was obtained.

RUSSELL Frederick S N/E S/Lt. Observer RNAS 85T285

No.2 Squadron Vice Admiral Dover Patrol 17.04.18 Gazetted

R.N.A.S. Officers - Flanders 1918 DSC

For skill and determination displayed by him on the 18th March, 1918, when carrying out a reconnaissance over Bruges and Blankenberghe under heavy anti-aircraft fire.

Regards Sadsac

2sqn1.jpg

2sqn2.jpg

that should deal with your query

All The Best

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
The book is RAF Squadrons; A Comprehensive Reccord of the Movement and Equipment of All RAF Squadrons and Their Antecedents Since 1912 by Wing Commander C.G. Jefford MBE RAF. ISBN is 1 85310 053 6 & the publisher is Airlife Publishing Ltd of 7 St John's Hill, Shrewsbury. My copy is of the first edition, which was published in 1988.

Would this book have any information regarding which Balloon Sections were attached to which squadrons? I am currently trying to find out about the 47th BS