Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Surgical Nursing is posted free online here:

Dr. Bundy gives American nurses an overview of common wounds, medical conditions, and their treatments.

Chapters include:
-CHAPTER I SURGICAL NURSING IN WARTIME
-CHAPTER II MISSILES USED IN MODERN WARFARE AND THEIR IMMEDIATE EFFECTS
-CHAPTER III EFFECTS OF BACTERIAL INVASION AND IMMUNITY
-CHAPTER IV DANGERS OF INFECTION. SHOCK. HEMORRHAGE
-CHAPTER IV DANGERS OF INFECTION. SHOCK. HEMORRHAGE
-CHAPTER V SURGICAL DRESSINGS
-CHAPTER VI THE WOUNDED MAN
-CHAPTER VII MECHANICAL APPLIANCES
-CHAPTER VIII BATH TREATMENT. BURNS. TETANUS. GANGRENE
-CHAPTER IX BONE INJURIES
-CHAPTER X INJURIES OF THE HEAD
-CHAPTER XI INJURES OF THE NECK AND SPINE
-CHAPTER XII WOUNDS OF THE CHEST AND ABDOMEN
-CHAPTER XIII TRENCH DISEASES AND AVIATOR'S HEADACHE

The book gave me an appreciation for the level of scientific and medical knowledge of the day as well as the seriousness to which nurses approached their profession.

Though very readable, it was a bit much for a non-medical/biology person like me to slog through. Those with even a half-way decent knowledge of anatomy, medicine, or biology should have no trouble.

It included a lengthy discussion of bacteria-causing microbes and constantly referred to taking care to guard against infection. Included was a good description of the Carrel-Dakins method of wound irrigation.

Shock was a common problem among the wounded, and thus throughout the book were references to its symptoms, effects, and treatment.

For those interested in orthopedics, there were numerous sketches of splints with details how to aid healing and provide for the patient's comfort.

Also included were discussions of the usual conditions associated with WW1--shell shock, trench foot, gangrene, and tetanus.

I enjoyed the 'tips to nurses' throughout the book of things like the benefit of having various small pillows available to support a wounded body part and thus give comfort to the patient; the expediency of understanding the surgical implements needed for each type of surgery and being in a constant state of readiness; and qualities of a good nurse.

There were many similarities between this book and Surgery at a Casualty Clearing Station online here.

For those looking for in depth info on wounds, conditions, and treatments of WW1, this and Surgery at a CCS are excellent. If you are looking for more general information on the various players in the evacuation chain, I recommend Wounded by Mayhew (although do read the negative reviews on Amazon UK first...) Olive Dent's book A VAD in France has an excellent description with much detail about the evacuation process. beginning around pg 115 here. Into War by Glubb has a thorough description of the evacuation chain from a patient's perspective beginning around page 185.

My reviews of these and other WW1 books (many medically related) are on my Goodreads page here. If you would like my detailed, typed notes on this or any of the other book mentioned in this thread, PM me and I am happy to share them with you.

If you have any good medically-related book suggestions, please reply to this post. A Medico's Luck in War is my next read, suggested by another member of this forum.

Thanks!

~Ginger