Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private John McLaughlin, Highland Light Infantry, Porthcurno 1914

IPT

I've been reading about an inquest into the death of a Private McLoughlin at Porthcurno Station on 21st August 1914. He was shot dead by a Corporal Andrew Hawkes of the same regiment, after being drunk and violent, resisting arrest and loading a rifle with intent to fire it at the Corporal.

At the inquest, which returned a verdict of justifiable homicide, Lt J.G.B.P. Graham, 4th HLI, stated that the man was a special reservist who had arrived on 18th August, was 25 years old, single and was from Glasgow. Other witnesses were a Colour Sergeant Henry Gray and Private James Martin.

(I'm wondering if Hawkes may have been 7635 L/Sjt Andrew Hawkes, who was killed 18/3/1915 with the 1st Bn)

I can't find a death registered for McLoughlin, or a CWGC of SDGW entry (obviously a lot of possible spelling variations). Can anyone see anything?

The only record I can see is from FreeBMD

McLaughlin John 25 Penzance 5c 268a

Ken

Ugh, I was looking in the wrong quarter!

Thanks for that. Looks very likely to be him. At least I now have a probable first name.

"Upon mobilisation, the special reserve units would be formed at the depot and continue training while guarding vulnerable points in Britain. The special reserve units remained in Britain throughout the First World War but their rank and file did not, since the object of the special reserve was to supply drafts of replacements for the overseas units of the regiment. The original militiamen soon disappeared, and the battalions became training units pure and simple"

The Lieutenant who gave evidence was 4th H.L.I. and I see from the LLT that 4th (Extra Reserve) H.L.I. were a depot/training unit which moved on mobilisation to Plymouth. I know that these men were guarding the Eastern Cable Station at Porthcurno, so it safe to assume that they were all 4th H.L.I.?

McLaughlin had only arrived on 18th August, and was not known to the rest of the men. He had indicated that he intended to drink and cause trouble until he was moved to his detachment at Southampton. Does that mean anything?

The local newspaper for Glasgow - The Evening Times published a Roll of Hounour.

See http://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/libraries/the-mitchell-library/family-history/resources/evening-times-roll-honour/Pages/home.aspx

The index for 1914/1915 has an entry on 18 May 1915 page 8 for Hugh McLaughlin of Parkhead and for Private John McLaughin of Parkhead, 4th Highland Light Infantry

It's not obvious what the article was about - the index states "Family record" - and you would need to get someone to look it up for you. Or visit the excellent Mitchell Library in sunny Glasgow!

The Scottish Military Research Group's transcription of the Glasgow Roll of Honour has a Private John McLaughlin, HLI, of 12 McDougall Street, Parkhead. So it does look as though this was the spelling.

Ken

Many thanks, Ken. I was at a complete dead end.

I note that there were 18 casualties in McDougall Street alone, including another soldier Stewart Mason, who was also from 12 McDougall Street. I think they were tenements. I know that 3rd Lowland Division were home service, but there's a Sjt 661267 Hugh McLaughlin RFA (Parkhead) who won the MM and Bar. I wonder if it's him?

Whilst searching the newspaper archive for that week, I came across a spate of incidents involving Glaswegian special reservists appearing before the Devon and Cornwall courts within days of arrival.

Thanks again.

A transcription of the burial register at the nearest church, St Levan's - McLAUGHLIN John 23-Aug-1914 aged 25 of St.Levan

This is two days after the incident and there is no-one local I can find with this surname.