Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Casualties in Palestine

liliasodell

Could anyone decipher an entry in some Pension Records? It's the place of admittance for appendicitis from the front lines - perhaps a casualty clearing station? (The next entry is to the hospital at Giza). I've included the 'from whom received' (on the left) which looks like '5th MB 379', whatever that means? The actual place looks a bit like ICC with the Cs written backwards. Date is 19th November 1917, and it was on the move towards Jerusalem.

Suggestions much appreciated!

post-55117-0-94912600-1401019843_thumb.j

Hi

is it

5th Mounted Brigade Field Ambulance. Admitted auth(ority C/9875 ???????

Regards,

Graeme

Hi Graeme. That certainly looks as if it's it for the 5th MB - the FA works when you squint - thank you! Authority number's right too. It's the 3 letters in the right hand column I'm particularly interested in as it might tell me exactly where he was - any clues?

Thanks again

Eljo

Egyption Expeditionary Force - EEF

Thanks for the suggestion - though I doubt it as it's not a place, and doesn't really look anything like the initials. Any other thoughts?

The more I look into and contemplate this, and compare it with what he told the family (not much of course, but there were a few indicators), and a few other clues (particularly a note on the back of a photo), the more I think it has to refer to a Casualty Clearing Station - perhaps it does read 1CC, for 1st Casualty Clearing?? I'm wondering if this might have been the way it was usually recorded on the official records??

I'm very prepared to be corrected!

Eljo