Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service in Ireland?

armourersergeant

Stupid question really but i am right in thinking that service in ireland, even during the uprising was not classed as service overseas. Its just that grandad served there during the rising and i'm trying to get a handle on his where abouts etc.

Apparently when mum came home and told grandad she was courting an irish catholic he nearly had an attack, fortunately age must have mellowed him because he came to like him. Which just shows that time can heal if you want it enough.

Arm.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Yes. The records of 3 soldiers I have seen who were deployed during the Easter Uprising of 1916 and who did not serve with any of the Expeditionary Forces were not awarded the British War Medal.

Ian

As noted above, until partition in 1922 the whole of the island of Ireland was as much part of the United kingdom as Manchester or Kent. As such deployments to Ireland during the Easter disturbances and later during the pre-partition emergency were not classed as overseas postings.

And yet in more recent times(1978) I received my GSM for service in N.Ireland, older members of the Bttn were given a bar to add to their GSMs awarded for 'overseas' service in the Rafdan and Aden.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Kevin,

Service in NI since 1969 has been regarded as participation in a campaign. The 1916 Uprising was regarded as a domestic incident. Hence the disparity.

Ian

:)