Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Very interesting Mike. There is one extract in the preface which would be at home in the current thread on the BEF's preparedness or otherwise in 1914. Commenting on the lack of sufficiently stern pre-war exercises he says, rather acidly that "The greatest problem and practice we had ever given our Regular army in Europe was handling four skeleton at autumn manoeuvres: we then required them to handle sixty real divisions on a real battlefield. It was like asking men employed to build cottages, suddenly to construct a cathedral." Ouch! What a crushing simile

David

I'm just wondering whether there is any truth in this, or whether it is just another " Captain " with an axe to grind?

Page 115

The Despatches of Sir Douglas Haig are written in a style very different from his own, as it appears in his personal communication from the War Cabinet and the Supreme Council, to which the historian of the war is again earnestly referred. They look like the hand of the professional propagandist and are far from candid * They omit the most important facts. etc

* Rumour-by no means unreliable in so small and intricate a body as the General Staff-names quite different authors, and is corroborated by the evidence of style.

Mike

Wright's book is the most appalling rubbish. "Axe to grind" is putting it mildly, Mike. It is not only unsympathetic to Haig but to everyone on the planet bar Peter Wright.

See MA dissertation "The British Staff at the Supreme War Council" by one C. F. Baker, (Univ Bham 2007). An article derived from the dissertation is appearing in this month's bumper "Stand To!".

:)

Thank you Chris. That'll be that put to bed then! I must join the WFA, for that alone. As a matter of interest, how would one go about " See MA dissertation "The British Staff at the Supreme War Council" by one C. F. Baker, (Univ Bham 2007). " that?

Mike

You have to ask me nicely for a copy!

Please may I have a copy of your magnificent, wonderful, ground-breaking etc etc dissertation Chris? :w00t:

I would very much appreciate that, and thank you.

Mike