Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lucy Greenhalgh, of Leigh, Lancashire

BereniceUK

Her name is on the WW1 memorial plaque in St Mary the Virgin, Leigh Parish Church, but not on the town's war memorial. CWGC doesn't record her unless it's under another name.

IMG_8048.jpg

IMG_8047.jpg

This may be coincidental or even a red herring, but posted 'just in case' given the distance between Atherton and Leigh.

Marriage: 16 Jun 1920 Chowbent Chapel, Atherton, Lancashire, England

Richard Partington - 40 Coal Hewer Bachelor of 15 Birch Rd., Atherton

Lucy Greenhalgh - 34 Spinster of 10 Bolton Old Road, Atherton

Groom's Father: Allen Partington, Deceased

Bride's Father: Joseph Greenhalgh, Deceased

Witness: Albert Woodward; Sarah Ellen Woodward; Robert Greenhalgh

Married by Certificate by: J.J. Wright, Minister & Authorised Person

Register: Marriages 1919 - 1924, Page 4, Entry 7

Source: Microfilm at Leigh Public Library via Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerk Project.

This may be coincidental or even a red herring, but posted 'just in case' given the distance between Atherton and Leigh.

Marriage: 16 Jun 1920 Chowbent Chapel, Atherton, Lancashire, England

Richard Partington - 40 Coal Hewer Bachelor of 15 Birch Rd., Atherton

Lucy Greenhalgh - 34 Spinster of 10 Bolton Old Road, Atherton

Groom's Father: Allen Partington, Deceased

Bride's Father: Joseph Greenhalgh, Deceased

Witness: Albert Woodward; Sarah Ellen Woodward; Robert Greenhalgh

Married by Certificate by: J.J. Wright, Minister & Authorised Person

Register: Marriages 1919 - 1924, Page 4, Entry 7

Source: Microfilm at Leigh Public Library via Lancashire OnLine Parish Clerk

Very interesting, thank you. I wish I'd noticed her name earlier today when I took the photo because the next place I went in was Leigh Library and I could have checked on whether she was a fatality or not. Looks like she might not have been, Atherton fatalities were reported in the Leigh newspaper.

UKNIWM has no date for when the plaque was unveiled. Someone slipped up but I can't imagine why.

Three Lucy Greenhalgh's died in the war years. This one looks to be the Lucy Greenhalgh who died in the third quarter 1918 in the Bolton registration district, aged 35. Bolton is 8 miles from Leigh. She is likely to have been a VAD as an army nurse would have a CWGC commemorated grave.

I'll check further when I next go down to Wigan.

Three Lucy Greenhalgh's died in the war years. This one looks to be the Lucy Greenhalgh who died in the third quarter 1918 in the Bolton registration district, aged 35. Bolton is 8 miles from Leigh. She is likely to have been a VAD as an army nurse would have a CWGC commemorated grave.

Just for completeness of the other Lucy Greenhalghs one died in the Ashton under Lyne registration district in the third quarter 1916 (aged 37 - an outside possibility as only 23 miles from Leigh) and the other died in the Hendon, Middlesex registration district, aged 58 (the unlikeliest of the three). I have checked births of Lucy Greenhalghs but there are far too many to be conclusive and this could just as likely be a married name.

One of them must have a connection with Leigh Parish Church, perhaps through family, so there's a possibility that her death would have been reported in the Leigh Journal even though she didn't live in the immediate vicinity. I can check at Wigan but can't get through to Leigh in the near future.

• 2 years later...

Lucy Greenhalgh died on the 27th of July 1918. I have located the grave and photographed it for Jim Strawbridge. Also I have carried out a small amount of research and passed the information on to him to continue. Nothing concrete as yet, but it does look promising.

52 minutes ago, Radlad said:

Lucy Greenhalgh died on the 27th of July 1918. I have located the grave and photographed it for Jim Strawbridge. Also I have carried out a small amount of research and passed the information on to him to continue. Nothing concrete as yet, but it does look promising.

And a superb bit of research it was, too.

On 2/20/2017 at 10:47, Radlad said:

Just curious, but where was she buried? Leigh and Bolton are local-ish for me.

Did anything turn up in the local newspapers for that area?

Hi All

Lucy Greenhalgh b.25.11.1883 baptised 16.11.1884 , St Bartholomew, Westhoughton, Leigh, Lancs. father John, mother  Betsy, in 1901 is living at 6 Reeves St., Leigh with her step father William Scott and her mother and siblings. In 1911 she is head of the household at 74 Hope St., Leigh her sister Alice Ann is with her and her half brother and niece. Lucy Greenhalgh death 8c,350, b.1883 d.Sept 1918,

Bolton. Lancs.... Westhoughton to Leigh 4.4 miles....looking

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

1 hour ago, The Inspector said:

Hi All

Lucy Greenhalgh b.25.11.1883 baptised 16.11.1884 , St Bartholomew, Westhoughton, Leigh, Lancs. father John, mother  Betsy, in 1901 is living at 6 Reeves St., Leigh with her step father William Scott and her mother and siblings. In 1911 she is head of the household at 74 Hope St., Leigh her sister Alice Ann is with her and her half brother and niece. Lucy Greenhalgh death 8c,350, b.1883 d.Sept 1918,

Bolton. Lancs.... Westhoughton to Leigh 4.4 miles....looking

Regards Barry

Wrong Lucy Greenhalgh

Edited by Radlad
forgot something