Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RGA sign up date from Reg No.

MrG

Could anyone have a stab at estimating one of my men's sign up date from his number - he is Gnr 38780 Harry Brooker RGA. He lived in Horsham but the "Soldiers Died" listing says he signed up in Croydon.

Thanks

Wow! Many Thanks. He must have signed up as a regular then?

• 4 years later...

Thanks for posting this information.  I am Harry's Great Niece.  He was my Nan's brother.  He was never mentioned to me and my Mum and her siblings were not born yet so did not know him and in some cases of him.  I appreciate any other information you can share.  I'd be interested in more information about how he died.  Was he admitted to a hospital etc.?

Thanks

• Admin
2 hours ago, Jill Clark said:

Thanks for posting this information.  I am Harry's Great Niece.  He was my Nan's brother.  He was never mentioned to me and my Mum and her siblings were not born yet so did not know him and in some cases of him.  I appreciate any other information you can share.  I'd be interested in more information about how he died.  Was he admitted to a hospital etc.?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum Jill

In order to get the assistance you need may I suggest you start a new thread in the Soldiers section with your Great Uncle's name and Regiment etc in the title then include as much info in your post as you can so those who come to help you don't duplicate that and can concentrate on what you need to know. You may be surporised on what can be achieved here.

Good luck with your research and please don't be afraid to ask questions!

Regards

David

Hi Jill,

Welcome to the Forum.

In his Soldiers' Effects record on Ancestry it says that Harry was serving with 282 Siege Battery RGA when he died from wounds on 26th September 1917 in the care of 35 General Hospital in Calais. It seems that having been wounded he was sent down the evacuation chain before sadly passing away. Unfortunately, I didn't find a surviving service record for Harry, so it might be very difficult/impossible to establish when he received his fatal wounds, and what they were.

Perhaps more in hope than expectation, I would tend to try...

Local newspaper reports

The unit war diary - link

A Copy of his death certificate, which should be available from the GRO using the reference...

image.png.a1838cb0960a3f58db09e736ca93af2f.png

image.png.97ddfae8d2df59c3555cde832c0b7a29.png

Images sourced from Findmypast

His will - link

Hopefully Kevin will pick on your post, and expand on the 1913 sign up date.

Regards

Chris