Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Suffolk Avenue Trench

mikebabes15

Researching 95 Field Company RE.

While they were at Grovetown Camp Somme, they were working on Suffolk Ave, (May/June 1916) has anyone any trench maps showing this or any general information on this trench?

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

My guess is the McMaster University Meaulte map would be your closest hit. McMaster lets you search on a trench name as well as a location.

Cheers,

Bill

post-66620-0-83817100-1400807188_thumb.p

Chasseaud's 'Rats Alley' gives this as sheet 62D NE2 Meaulte F17a. I can find a few maps which show this square but alas no trenches marked, it is however just behind the front line of July 1916 and directly south of Mansel Copse a few hundred yards south of Mametz

hope this works...

Jon

...guess what Bill and Jon were doing at the same time ;)

Is this the location? F17a is the square under Mansel Copse.

post-66620-0-25755900-1400808177_thumb.j

Is this the location? F17a is the square under Mansel Copse.attachicon.gif

Which map is that screenshot from?

Thank you for all the information, I will follow this up. This is the right area, just a pity the actual trench isn't shown. My Great grandfather was a driver with 95 Field Company RE, I have been reading the unit diary for this period which describes the work they were carrying out in this area prior to the 1st July 1916. They often worked with 24th Manchesters (Pionners) along with working parties from many infantry regiments. Suffolk Trench is often mentioned in their reports.

Thanks again for the information.

Mike

I wonder if anyone could overlay the attached image of Mametz with a current map? If that's possible.

Regards

Mike

post-87239-0-41589600-1400865479_thumb.j

Mike, this is not one of my better efforts, but I am interstate at the moment.

post-66620-0-80063200-1400914308_thumb.j

Bill,

That's great thank you very much for your work!

Best regards

Mike

Update, just found this image on Jermey Banning's site advertising the book, The Somme, The unseen panoramas. On it the British trenches are marked around Mamet and you can clearly see Suffolk Trench. Now I know the exact location of the trench my great grandfather worked on in the run up to 1st July 1916.

http://jeremybanning.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Trench-map-of-the-Fricourt-Mametz-area-dated-June-1916.jpg