Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Peters

MotherMave

I am researching James Peters, here is his Flintshire WW1 Index Card:-

Flintshire WW1 Index Cards F 31 (Shotton) :-

PETERS, James. 43, Brook Road, Shotton. Reg. No. :- 12650 8th RWF. L/Cpl. Period of Service. August 1914 - May 1916. Died of Decesed (sic). May 1916.

Card signed 22nd January 1921 by Mrs. Alice E. PETERS.

I can find his CWGC Certificate, (he is named on the Basra Memorial) and his "UK Soldiers died in the Gtreat War" from Ancestry.co.uk, also Forces Genealogy, but can find nothing else about this man except that he obviously lived in Shotton, but wondered if anyone could tell me where he would have been in May 1916, it appears he died of a disease. Any help would be very welcome. I have searched the local BMD's and cannot get any difinitive information to trace him. Thanking you in advance, Mavis Williams

The 8th Battalion of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers went to Gallipoli, then Egypt and on to Mesopotamia, according to the Long Long Trail. At the date of James Peters' death, they were in what is now Iraq. There is some more detail here.

C

Mavis

There is a Medal Index Card at the National Archives (here) but it doesn't seem to have made it to ancestry so I can't verify Pte James' date of entry into a theatre of war.

I have had a look at some 25 other Royal Fusiliers with five digit service numbers starting with 126. The great majority went to Gallipoli, most of them on 28 June 1915. Without seeing the Medal Index Card or a service record (which I have not found), it is hard to be certain but I think it is a reasonable supposition that he arrived at Gallipoli with the rest of his battalion.

Regards

Charles