Remembered Today:

BWM medal roll query

John_Hartley

I've just started to work through 6th Cheshires BWM roll and have quickly hit a query.

My understanding had been that if a man appeared on this roll, then that was his final unit. But I've now come across several men who have appropriate 4 and 6 digit service numbers for the battalion - but then have a further (usually service) battalion/s listed, which looks as though that was service after he had been with the 6th Battalion. Is my understanding of the roll's format incorrect then?

John

• Admin

John

Each man's service abroad with a unit should be listed chronologically so if he has other battalions listed, he must have served with them. There are various versions of the instructions at the top of the roll but this one explains what was required.

Glen

post-32914-0-25135300-1400688937_thumb.j

On the 9th Sherwood's it is as Glen mentions.

Today I found one of my 9th battalion men and he was listed as 1st bn, 2nd bn and 9th bn. The 9th being his final battalion. One chap had 5 battalions listed!

Steve

Here's the listing for the first couple I came across:

6 Ches - 1197

6 Ches - 265071

15 Ches

6 Ches - 1157

6 Ches - 265080

11 Ches

7 Ches

In these cases, my expectation (supported by both your comments) was that they would be listed on the 15th and 7th Battalions pages, respectively, but no, there they are on the 6th Battalion's.

It's my understanding that the unit he first entered the theater of war with is the unit on his medals & the unit whose roll he is listed on no matter where he went later in his service. That is why the men you list have 6 Bn first followed by others they went to later. They were on the strength of the 6th Bn when they landed on foreign soil.

I've seen a trio to ASC but man was later sent to MGC & KIA with them. His medals are issued from the roll of the ASC with MGC listed after his ASC assignment.

• Admin

Interesting. I haven't heard of a BWM roll sorted by battalion. Most of the BWM rolls I've seen are arranged by either number or surname with no distinction between TF or non-TF battalions. These would be the most logical method of storing the service records. I wonder if the Cheshires records office kept the TF ones separate and thus had to use the original battalion to fill in the rolls.

Must admit that I have only seen number lists.

However they do it - the first battalion/regiment/corps he was with would be on the medal - So if he went overseas with 6 battalion then I would expect 6th battalion.

Steve

The snag is that both the MIC and the full medal roll were compiled by regiment, not battalion, although the full roll normally lists all battalions with which a man served overseas. The medal in this case would simply read "CHES R" without mentioning a battalion.

Where a man moved between regiments or corps, his name should appear on the roll of the LAST regiment with which he served, but the medal itself is marked with the FIRST unit with which he served abroad. The rank shown is the highest he reached during the war, so anomalies may be found where a man never served in that rank in the regiment appearing on the medal.

Ron

Thanks for the comments, folks.

I think all I can do at present is assume that the roll is written correctly and that, for reasons unknown, these chaps are still on the 6th's roll, even though they had later service in other of the regiment's battalions (men who later transferred to other regiments don't, of course, appear on the Cheshire roll). Possibly things will become clearer when I get down to searching for pension/service papers that have some details.

John