Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Deaths of POWs

brianjohn

On our WW1 memorial board in my church there are three names of men who had died whilst POWs. The CWGC web site merely give the date and cemetery where they are buried. I suspect the information I want is not available but does anyone know how I can find out in which POW camp they were in and when they were captured. I have their units etc

Regards

Brian

Their 'Burnt' Records, if they survive, and most don't ,will give the date they went missing. In some cases these same records may also include a translation of a notification letter from the German authorities as to when and where they died. Some men died before they got to a camp (many in 1918 were employed on battlefield clearance and salvage), and others died on their way home, either from their privations or pandemic influenza.

Michael

.............The CWGC web site merely give the date and cemetery where they are buried...................................

Regards

Brian

Have you read through the "Find out more" information about the cemeteries on the CWGC website ?

This might prove useful.

CGM

You could also try the International Committee of the Red Cross--- I understand they are now slowly releasing their WWI records. Be aware they answer very slowly if at all.

The Red Cross records are due to be released on line sometime this year - possibly quite soon. The same applies to many CWGC records, which might for example give details of many POW's who were moved from their original burial places to concentration cemeteries like the one at Cologne South. Keep watching for the announcements.

Keith

You might also try the local paper - your local library may well have copies on microfilm - or a subscription to the British Newspapers site. In my experience local papers often carried reports on men who were POWs and who died whilst still in captivity, usually prompted by the family after they had been informed.

Dave Swarbrick