Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this man RGA?

fjwiltshire

Lads and lasses thankyou for your answers and suggestions, all of which have been interesting and educational.

Without documents or anecdotal evidence we will never know what Fred did in the Great War.

It seems that those on the home front, like Dad's Army a generation later, wore a hotch potch of old kit and drilled with broom sticks.

I think we should let it rest now. Whatever I write about him will be ignored or quickly forgotten when people see a photo of such a splendid looking old soldier.

PS on Johnboy's post,,,it was Mr Leigh who was the idiot. Single digit IQ may be qualification for modern day UK or Australian politicians but not people handling HE.

My thanks to you all. Frank

• 3 months later...
Guest WE WANT YOU

hello chaps my 3rd great grandfther was a one fredrick towner and im trying to gather a history of him

from what i know theres 2 fredrick towners and there both getting mixed up here

my relative fredrick owner was born 25 February 1866 in St Leonards on Sea, Hastings, Sussex, England

Death 18 February 1953 in 15 Ellen Ave, Ramsgate and my family has been based in margate ramsgate ashford ever scince

he was in ww1 and the family continued tradition in ww2 and still there scince

his reg number as 10822

i dont have a photo of him but i think this might be him as it has his daughter ellen towner in and looks like a family photo taken

any help would be greatly appeciated :w00t:

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh482/Amarzo100/ScreenShot2014-09-22at195817_zpsa9c5b50b.png

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh482/Amarzo100/ScreenShot2014-09-22at141559_zpsc2375548.png

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh482/Amarzo100/img007_zps6a31be97.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, WWY and welcome. Please excuse the delay in reply as I received no notification.

I am researching the east Sussex village of Blackham. There was confusion about Fred's war history at first. His grandgaughter has his 1880s paybook for that period as a gunner in the RA serving in Malta and Singapore. She then found an MIC for WW1 in the Machine Gun Corps and assumed it was him. But he turned out to be a Hastings born Towner. Fred's surname was Divall, his stepfather's name, until he learned of his birth in mid1890s and reverted to his mother's name. His photo clearly shows an artillery man by his cap badge. He died 1951 and is buried with many of his family in Blackham churchyard. So, sorry not your guy.

Do you have Ancestry or FMP?. His records may exist. Others here may help you track him down by the uniform, the card suggests an SWB?? but no overseas medals? So discharged hurt or sick on UK duty. Aged 50, no surprise.

I'll have a look soon when I've a bit of time.

Regards Frank

OK, I noticed the medal card said rank was Private and this man was a Serjeant. The good news is his pension records are available on Ancestry. He was made sjt in 1914 but reverted to pte on discharge due to a septic leg wound. Service 1894 to 1905. Rejoined 1914. UK service only. There's your man. Get a free trial on Ancestry, search Military, then Pension records.

Frank

It's worth noting that prior to the 'general issue' (i.e. to 'home' as well as foreign service troops) of puttees in 1902, the RGA alone of the artillery were issued leather 'leggings' (aka gaiters) and ankle boots for marching order, whereas both, RHA and RFA were issued riding boots for the same order. As an old looking soldier it seems quite likely that he still had his pre-1902 leggings when recalled to service at the beginning of WW1. Leggings of that type were not issued to RHA and RFA.

Interesting points, Frogsmile.. As he left service in 1894 I don't what the uniform looked like then.

My main concern is that this member, WE WANT YOU, is a newbie and has not received my reply. He/she hasn't posted for 3 weeks and may be unaware of my answer. Too new a member to PM. It would seem the man in the photo is the right man judging by the evidence of the pension records. Will he /she be notified of this post? If not can the moderators make contact.

I don't like to think a member has gone away disappointed.

Interesting points, Frogsmile.. As he left service in 1894 I don't what the uniform looked like then.

The uniform of garrison artillerymen in 1894 was an undress 5-button blue serge frock (loose fitting jacket), trousers (as opposed to the breeches of horse and field artillery), ankle boots and leather leggings. Like the enclosed. Note the unlined version (at right) worn overseas.

post-599-0-99736000-1412940380_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-94552800-1412940508_thumb.jpg