Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas Evans RAMC

Glyn1959

Hi, this is my first post as I am new to the forum but have been researching my fmily tree off and on for a few years now.

I'm particularly interested in any information on my grand-father Thomas Evans.

I attach his medal card. The medal card states "Private" but some of the photos clearly show him as a "Corporal".

I believe he left the army during WW1 on health grounds (I think the silver badge supports this?).

I don't know where the photos were taken, I guess in this country. I've also searched many sites/images to try and identify the location of the photos but with no success.

I don't know any of hs movements during WW1 other than what his medal card tells me.

Any information, tips, etc would be gretaly appreciated.

I can't find his service or pension records on Ancestry (so I guess they were destroyed).

I'm getting the message that the photos are too big. Any ideas how to overcome this?

Can anybody help me fill in the blanks please? :wacko:

post-110576-0-00564900-1400590109_thumb.

Hi Glyn,

The Silver War Badge records state that 60131 Thomas Evans RAMC enlisted on 14th June 1915 and was discharged on medical grounds on 27th November 1919. His rank was Acting Corporal, and he was then aged 34 years 6 months. Cause of discharge was "sickness", and he was confirmed as having served overseas,

He was issued badge no.453109 on or just after 5th January 1920. At a guess the rank discrepancy on the MICard is that the rank shown was the highest held during the war (and he was discharged a year after it ended, with time to be promoted further). Also it was only substantive or acting rank that counted, and not an appointment (such as Lance-Corporal).

If you know exactly where he or his next of kin lived during the war perhaps you can check the 1918 and 1919 Absent Voters Lists for that area, in case he appears (these may give you his unit details).

For the pictures, use your imaging software to reduce the picture file size to under 250 Kb before attaching for posting.

Clive

Sorry nothing to do with Thomas Evans but my Grandfather held the rank of Corporal when he was demobilised in 1919 and it was a mystery to me why his MIC said A Cpl and his medals were stamped A Cpl thanks to your post Clive I now know why.

Thanks Clive. I have since stumbled over the Silver War Badge roll that I didn't even know existed!

Unfortunately Flintshire doesn't have an absent voters list online so I will contact Flintshire Records Office to see if they have anything - thanks for the tip!

I am now attaching 3 photos and would hope someone recognises where they were taken.

The fact my grandfather is a Corporal on them from what you summise above suggests that they date from 1918/1919.

Here goes:

post-110576-0-81527000-1400658517_thumb.

Found him now*., at 34 New Street, Mold

AVL only says Pte 60131 RAMC.

Also at the address is William Evans, Rfm 45371 R I D. The R I D is atypo and should be R I F for Royal Irish Rifles.

Contacting Flintshire record office is still your best way forward though as both will no doubt have a card in their WW1 collection.

* this gave me the town

http://cymru1914.org/en/view/newspaper/3755482/2/ART14

If you haven't come across it before here's the main page

http://cymru1914.org/en/browse/newspapers

The search facility will try your patience though! Persevere <grin>

That's AVL 1918

Glyn you could try posting the images in the 'Uniforms & Cap Badges' sub forum of 'The Paraphernalia of War'. The uniform experts might be able to provide a bit more information.