Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where is the Red Heart Estaminet?

sneakyimp

I've heard mention of a place near Ypres called the Red Heart Estaminet. Can anyone help me locate this place, ideally with latitude/longitude.

It is referred to in A Tommy at Ypres (p 52.) by Walter Williamson as he describes his journey to 'the reserve line on the Yser Canal in front of Ypres' :

We were halted at the ruins of a building that was known as "The Red Heart Estaminet." It was difficult to imagine it as a convivial spot. Plenty of orders were being given, but not for drinks.

In the chapter entitled "An Ypres Christmas" in Undertones of War, Edmund Blunden says:

At Poperinghe a draft of perhaps sixty soldiers was put in my charge, and I was told to make my way to the Red Heart Estaminet on the canal bank near Ypres. It did not strike me at first that an estaminet with a name like that would be a foolish ruin, not dealing in malaga, thin beer or grenadine.

I believe I've read of this place elsewhere too but don't recall where. It sounds like a significant landmark for troops deployed to the salient. Can anyone tell me more about this place? Would it be serving as corps/divisional HQ or something? What might it look like?

I believe the name of the estaminet was the Red Hart, rather than Heart.

Dave

I believe the name of the estaminet was the Red Hart, rather than Heart.

Dave

Thanks for that! Still can't find hide nor hair of it.