Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My somme relics

MYMONSTAR

hi I just thought I would share some of my somme relics with forum members ,,,

all of the items were recovered from lields around the ulster tower, st pierre divion and boom ravine,

toffee apple mortar transit plug on the left & mills transit plug on the right

post-101199-0-34610200-1400529858_thumb.

de-activated german egg grenade & two german ball grenades

post-101199-0-66381800-1400529997_thumb.

more to follow

enjoy

Toffee apple mortar transit plug on left and Mills bomb transit plug on right

post-101199-0-35030500-1400534145_thumb.

think I have it sorted

these are my german ball (kugelhandgranate) and egg (eierhandgranate) both deactivated and spruced up.

post-101199-0-01978600-1400536452_thumb.

two starplates from the bases of german stick grenades (stielhandgranate)

these are two different patterns as one has an external thread and the other an internal thread.

post-101199-0-17354300-1400537103_thumb.

British High explosive shell percussion fuse, totally spent & inert and some british lead shrapnel balls.

post-101199-0-95939000-1400537700_thumb.

Forgive me for being a "know all" but the above is not a shrapnel shell fuse but a high explosive shell percussion fuse. Because we here on the forum are concerned with the welfare of members I think that it would help if you explained a bit more about the grenades such as, were they found on the battlefield then made safe in France or on your return, perhaps they were purchased as deactivated mementos in Europe your post is not clear on this point. Sooner of later someone will ask these questions.

Regards

Norman

PS This is a shrapnel shell fuse (rotating timer ring)

3401602992_e098579908_z.jpg

I stand corrected on the fuse issue thank you, The grenades were found live on the battlefield while walking behind thiepval memorial with a good friend who lives in the vicinity ,he had them de-activated in Belgium by an expert in that field dummy dets glued in place then a lick of black gloss to finish up and that's the story on the grenades. (NO-ONE IN THIER RIGHT MIND SHOULD TRANSPORT LIVE ORDINANCE FROM THE BATTLEFIELDS TO THE UK OR ANY OTHER DESTINATION THEREFORE PUTTING THE LIVES OF OTHERS AT RISK) The transit plugs were recovered in Thiepval wood during excavation on the Ulster div trenches.The starplates were recovered on a laneway bank on the walk uphill towards Schwabben from the farm were I stayed for a very enjoyable 2 weeks.

Ps I have amended my mistake on the above image of the shell fuse.

Davy

Thanks for the response, I am not trying to make a big thing of this but the subject of battlefield finds and in particular of munitions is a major discussion point on this forum as it should be. I am sure that you appreciate that all unexploded munitions can even after many years be lethal if tampered with and that the transportation of such munitions is an offence with I believe severe penalties for those who transgress the law.

Please do not feel that I am trying to as it were catch you out in your response but I am a little confused just how the unexploded grenades made their way from France to Belgium where apparently they were deactivated by someone. You will no doubt acknowledge the fact that such statements can cause concern and that it is always better to specify the provenance of any items of munitions when posting images on the forum. I assure you that my remarks are made in good faith and with the sole purpose of clarifying the position regarding both the images that you have posted and any further ones that you may upload.

Regards

Norman

Good pictures Mymon... I enjoyed seeing them.

Thank you ghazala ,

I had no idea that posting a few images needed so much explaining ,but sure im new at this forum stuff so I live and learn. I have more images to post but will carefully explain when I post each one with an explanation so as not to offend or confuse other forum members even though people should really use a little common sense and work out that they should not transport live munitions illegally (Where I come from that's called gunrunning lol)

Thanks again for your post Ghazala.

more images to come soon.

Davy