Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Worcester positions 26 October 1916

Terry Carter

My Great Uncle was wounded on 26 October 1916 and he died at 11 General Hospital near Etaples on 6 November 1916.

In the book "British Battalions on the Somme" it states

"La Briqueterie (25/10). Moved forward to a line at Lesboefs (Frosty Trench) (30/10)."

Can a Worcester expert what was happening on 26 October when he received his GSW to right leg and hand.

Thanks

Terry

It may be possible he was wounded some days before his death. I would look at any actions up to 10 days before.

An extract from The Worcestershire Regiment in the Great War (Capt H Stacke)

After their long rest at Le Souich the 2nd Worcestershire

had moved south (on October 19th) to billets in Corbie. Two days later (October 21st) the

100th Brigade marched forward to Meaulte. The Battalion was nowin fine training and the marching

was very good. From Meaulte the Brigade marched eastward next day to " Mansell Camp "

south of Mametz. On October 25th a move forward was made to " Briqueterie Camp " near

Montauban. There the Battalion lay for a week in the midst of the devastated area, finding big

working parties in every direction. The weather, as we have already seen, was atrocious, and the

thunder of the guns in front was incessant. At last, on the evening of October 30th, the Battalion

moved up to the line.

We have seen how little success had hitherto attended the efforts of the Fourth Army to

fight its way forward through the heavy mud of the Transloy Ridges. Now the fresh 33rd Division

had been brought up to relieve the weary 4th Division at Les Boeufs.

After dark on October 30th the 2nd Worcestershire marched forward from their camp by

Montauban and made their way, through rain and heavy mud past Pommier's Redoubt, where the

4th Battalion were bivouacked, past Trones Wood, where the straggling platoons of the 1st Battalion

were even then assembling, past the ruins of Ginchy, forward to the tangle of trenches around Les

Boeufs. There the 2nd Worcestershire took over a section of the front line from the 5th Scottish

Rifles (d), and settled as best they could into the muddy ditches under pouring rain. Their position

was called " Frost " Trench, and on their right in " Slush " Trench were the 9th H.L.I. Beyond

that battalion was the point of junction with the left flank of the French Sixth Army, which in the

preceding weeks had gained a good deal of ground.

Andy.

Thanks for that Andy and johnboy

His service papers state that he received a GSW on 26 October, 1916, "in the field".

No doubt he was hit by shell fragments near Montauban

Regards

Terry

Have you tried for his service record or the War Diary?

Crossed posts and a misread of post#1.

According to Geoff's Excelent Search Engine, there's only one 'death' attributed to the 2nd Worcesters on 26 October 1916. That could indicate that there wasn't much action encountered on that particular day?

Andy.

Knowing my great uncle DOW on 6 Nov 1916, I always thought he may of been wounded during actions near Gueudecourt. But having seen his wound date in his service papers I now realise thanks to the history of the Worcs Regt supplied by Andy that he was most probably hit by shell fire whilst on a working party in the region of Montauban.

Terry