Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

VAD - Irene Gore-Hickman

Noor

Hi all,

I have here Victory Medal and British War Medal that belonged to Irene Gore-Hickman from Voluntary Aid Detachment. I can see her MIC exist on NA site but I am not able to locate it on Ancestry site. Any help in this matter would be great.

Also I haven't had any luck to find more about her. Looks like she was born 1895 as a child (one from 11!) of Francis William Gore Hickman and Elizabeth Brown O'Brien. Francis was born Tyredagh Castle, Ireland in 1857, he died 1917 in Kilmore Clare.

http://records.ancestry.co.uk/francis_william_gore_hickman_records.ashx?pid=164895135

Also her name is unique enough - there was an officer in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers who's name was as well Gore-Hickman. I presume there can be some kind of family connection.

Any advise, help or extra information would be great,

Kind Regards,

Noor

So,Irene one of the brothers, Poole Henry Gore Hickman, served in the WW1 as an commander of famous D Company (Dublin pals - rugby guys and other professionals from Trinity) 7th Battalion of Royal Dublin Fusiliers and was KIA in Gallipoli.

Other brother, like Peter pointed out, Thomas O'Brien was district inspector of RIC, during the war served in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers and Royal Air Force. Also Norman served in the Dubs but I am not sure where other brother was.

Like I understand Thomas was involved in the Selton Hill incident 1921 during turbulent times in Ireland (a portion or a column under Seán Connolly from the Longford Brigade - who had been killed by the British on 11 March at Selton Hill, County Leitrim after information of their presence had been given to Thomas Gore-Hickman, the District Inspector of the RIC in Mohill) and he emigrated to Canada where he died 1982?

It is interesting to see that most of their family served during WW1 and there is information available about them.... expect Irene only :).

If some of you have anything else about her, please let me know.

Regards,

Noor

I still can't find her MIC on ancestry. Perhaps some of you can have a second look before I pay money for that on National Archive site. Also second loom on LG don't do any harm regards possibility if MID, etc - new layout of LG search engine is pretty complicated for me :S

Regards,

Noor

Noor

The women's cards have never been put on Ancestry, other than a few MID cards and one or two others. So they're only available via TNA.

Sue

Thank you Sue! I will get the card from there then!

Regards,

Timo aka Noor

Thank you Sue again! I also emailed to the Red Cross and lets see what they can tell.

http://www.redcross.org.uk/About-us/Who-we-are/Museum-and-archives/Resources-for-researchers/Volunteers-and-personnel-records

Now her MIC - shame to the NA to charge money for so bad copy and its missing other side as well (I was hoping to confirm where she lived). I am pretty sure she settled in Dublin but no trace so far.

Also I found this about her family. Maybe its my bad English, etc but I can't understand what type of family she was from (royal ancestros, etc), when they had their own crest, etc... oficially confirmed gentelmens and ladys? :whistle:

23373649448773_o.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I received her MIC (confirms only her full name, unit and two medal entitlement).

Also today I received Red Cross replay and there is slightly more information:

Permanent address: Woodleigh, Crystal, Palace park Road

Age when engaged: 26

Date of engagement: 31.07.1916

Date of termination: 14.03.1919

Previous engagements under Joint War Committee, if any, and where: P.T.O (what that PTO means, any ideas?)

Dept. for reference: J.W.V.A.D.

Period of Service

From 31.07.1916 To 14.03.1919

Commission: City of Dublin 28 (what that number means there???)

Bournemouth Military

31.07.1916 Trans

France Military

22.12.1917 14.03.1919

Sheer guesswork :=

P.T.O. Port Transport Officer ?

City of Dublin 28 :- VAD Detachments were drawn from and were formed in geographical areas. Males had odd numbers and females even numbers so two detachments from each geographical area. City of Dublin 28 would be the females VADs from a particular borough within the city but do not have the information to hands as to which one.

Thank you Jim. Now, I got another guess as well.... Keep in mind that the info of service is hand written on the back of the card.... Can that PTO mean - Please Turn Over? I will post photos of the card later today.

Also I found this about her family. Maybe its my bad English, etc but I can't understand what type of family she was from (royal ancestros, etc), when they had their own crest, etc... oficially confirmed gentelmens and ladys? :whistle:

23373649448773_o.jpg

Hi Noor,

This looks like they were indeed fairly well-off landed gentry - FW Hickman (the father) was High Sheriff of the county, which by this point was an almost entirely ceremonial post, and a Justice of the Peace (county judge).

He was born FW Gore and changed his name, *probably* in order to inherit (this was not unusual at the time) which is why so many of the children had double surnames.

Andrew.