Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Warwickshire Yeomanry Cap Badge

liliasodell

My grandfather (Warwick Yeo. in Egypt/Palestine, 1917) brought this WY cap badge back with him after he was finally demobbed from Alexandria (he was in the WY until being invalided, then moved to the RASC). It's obviously a Warwickshire Yeomanry one, but is different from the others I've seen, and despite hunting I haven't seen another like it.

Could anyone tell me anything about it?

Eljo

ps - apologies, for some reason the photo has uploaded missing the right hand side - which is the dangerous end of the barrel - but you get the idea, I hope ...

post-55117-0-15508500-1400334243_thumb.j

It's not a cap badge but a regimental button mounted on a rifle. Perhaps a brooch or tie pin for civvie wear?

TT

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll have to see if I can get a photo of the back, which might tell me a bit more.

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll have to see if I can get a photo of the back, which might tell me a bit more.A

As suggested by the previous poster it is a sweetheart brooch formed from a regimental button on a rifle (pinned). This configuration was very common at the less expensive end of the market.

What a splendid family memento.

Thanks for the information - very good to know. I, and my uncle (who is his son), have all sorts of bits and bobs that came back with grandpa (or were sent home by him) - mostly identified now, but some we're still working on! Some are military, but there's quite a few things he seems to have picked up from local shops and markets. Makes an interesting collection! I just wish he'd put info on the back of his photos more often - got quite a few with nothing on the back, which is frustrating, as there's quite a few with lots on the back too. Ah well ....

Fascinating item - looks like trench art to me but I may be wrong - can you please post image of reverse.

Philip

Fascinating item - looks like trench art to me but I may be wrong - can you please post image of reverse.

Philip

Hi Philip - I've asked my uncle for a photo of the back - will post it when he sends it.

Eljo