Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tank Corps - Victory Medal

Wendy Macpherson

Good evening everyone

Question: Are WW1 British Tank Corps medals very rare?

Reason I ask is there is a Tank Corp Victory mounted with a WW2 set for sale on a local auction site in New Zealand, not the sort of set you see everyday in NZ.

Research most likely necessary to confirm that the recipient of the Victory was also awarded the WW2 set.

Consisting of:
WWI Victory Medal (named to 69593 PTE A. HUGHES TANK CORPS on the trim)
1939-45 Star
Africa Star
Defence Medal
War Medal 1939-45

morning !

not rare but they are very collactable

I take it the BWM is missing ?

morning !

not rare but they are very collactable

I take it the BWM is missing ?

Thanks for that..

Yes BMW missing so maybe not quite so appealing for a collector in NZ

No one has taken the seller up in the deal yet, price could be a factor $290 - $300 NZD as to the set

Well, not so much rare but as coldstrearmer observed, certainly collectable.

Ironic really, as I would guess that a significant number were awarded to men who never went to war in a tank, but who were selected or seconded for training on the new light tank battalions in the closing days of the war and which didn't go into action. Such was the case with my granddad, T.Murphy, who got transferred to Bovington from the infantry, in late summer / autumn of 1918, and never left the place until discharged! I assume that his pair will have him down as a Tanker, and have rather resigned myself too probably having to pay over the odds for them if they ever come up for sale.

Trajan

Well, not so much rare but as coldstrearmer observed, certainly collectable.

Ironic really, as I would guess that a significant number were awarded to men who never went to war in a tank, but who were selected or seconded for training on the new light tank battalions in the closing days of the war and which didn't go into action. Such was the case with my granddad, T.Murphy, who got transferred to Bovington from the infantry, in late summer / autumn of 1918, and never left the place until discharged! I assume that his pair will have him down as a Tanker, and have rather resigned myself too probably having to pay over the odds for them if they ever come up for sale.

Trajan

Hi Trajan,

If your grandfather served overseas with an infantry regiment and then returned to the uk prior to transferring to the tanks and then did not serve with them overseas, then his medals would/should be named to the infantry and not the tanks. If you can follow my reasoning--have you looked for an MIC for him?

Robert

Thanks Robert for that remark! I have his MIC on record somewhere and I'll follow it up - I don't do medals as such and had just assumed ( :blush: ) that the last regiment would be the one inscribed on the medals. His first (and last!) overseas posting was with the 1 Herefordshire regiment in Egypt/Palestine, so perhaps there is a hope after all (one day, when I get organised!) of finding his pair.

Julian

To have a Victory Medal named to Tank Corps means his absent BWM is also named to same unit. Means at some point he served overseas as a member of the Tank Corps in some capacity whether as crewman in a tank, a clerk in some HQ or mechanic in shops. But he did see overseas service as a Tank Corps man. Like to know what his duties were in that organization.

To have a Victory Medal named to Tank Corps means his absent BWM is also named to same unit. Means at some point he served overseas as a member of the Tank Corps in some capacity whether as crewman in a tank, a clerk in some HQ or mechanic in shops. But he did see overseas service as a Tank Corps man. Like to know what his duties were in that organization.

Hi

Thanks for that bit of extra information.

They didn't sell, I might contact the seller and suggest medals are listed on eBay, would be nice to see them return home where the Tanks are valued more than here.

Regards

unless there is some paperwork its only worth the sum of its parts as easy to add ww2 medals to a group