Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Commercial First World War website problems

E Wilcock

The site is free but access to some record sets is only by subscription to the holding company e.g. FMP or the N/A.

craig

Thanks Craig, I get it now.

Mike

Hi

thanks for clearing that up - I'm busy searching in there now - found quite a bit I didn't know about Dereham soldiers.

thanks and take care. Kitty

• 6 months later...

Hi

Just an update for those who are interested in these sites.

Due to findmypast changing their set up it has become very difficult to trace people via their address - something that when failing to find their name can be of get help. Although they state you can still do it - it's become very difficult and not as reliable as it was. To many this will seem trivial but if the transcribers have spelt the name wrong and you know a rough address it was another way of searching for a soldier - especially when they had a town billet.

So hunting around I have found that the Genealogist site offers this and more - although admittedly it is not for the entire world - their diamond membership of £119 for the year has opened up another resource for me whilst tracking down the soldiers that came home to Dereham.

I don't get paid to say this but thought someone else might have found themselves in the same situation as myself since the findmypast update.

So for me once my ancestry and findmypast membership runs out this year it'll be the Genealongist and British Newspapers sites I'm renewing as a local historian - both of these sites allow me to search not only by name but by address and activity unlike the other two which now seem to be for family historians alone.

thanks and take care, Kitty