Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Corps War Memorials

brownag

I have read of a book of remembrance for the R.A.M.C. being in Westminster Abbey. Have the other Corps (not the county regiments) got books of remembrance or other forms of Memorials listing names in other Churches or public places in the UK?

Cheers

Adam

Adam

The London Electrical Engineers R.E. (T) and the R.G.A. erected and unveiled a memorial in Coal House Fort, Essex on 16th Septembe 1916

South face "The Great War"

North face "The Allies: British Empire, France, Russia, Italy, Belgium, Japan, Portugal, Serbia, Montenegro, Rumania."

East face "Coalhouse Fort: No. 2 Co. R.G.A. ; O.C. Major P Lea Birch. No. 2 Co. E and S R.G.A. (T) ; O.C. Major F R Dieck. No. 2. Co. L.E.E., R.E. (T); O.C. Capt. G. W. C. Kaye. Det. 1st Reserves G.B. Suffolk Regiment."

West face "Erected by the R.A. and R.E. of Coalhouse Fort to commemorate the Great War 1914 - 191_

The memorial was made from several blocks of granite weighing quite a few tons each, I have a copy of the article from the newspaper.

I believe the memorial was removed during the war because it was seen in bad taste (or so the rumour goes).

Regards

Andrew

Guest Ian Bowbrick

The Machine Gun Corps Roll of Honour is kept at St Wulfram's Church, Grantham.

RIP all men of the Suicide Squad.

Ian

:ph34r:

There is a Memorial to the Camel Corps in London near Parliment I beleive with all names listed on it.

S.B

The Camel Corps Memorial is in the park, alongside Charing Cross tube station and is one of my favourite memorials. I can confirm it does have plaques bearing the names of the casualties.

Terry Reeves