Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

24th London Battalion in September 1918

WDPyke

Encouraged by tremendous help from this forum before, I wonder if anyone knows where the 24th London (Queen's) were fighting in August to September 1918. I am trying to trace Private Bernard Frampton Barnes who was killed in action on 18th September. I know he had been through many campaigns already and have been tracing them, but for Aug / Sept all I have so far is that his body was found near Coy HQ near Peiziere, France. I assume he had been killed rather than suicide as the records state killed in action.

Any ideas out there?

Have a look on LLT, top left of page,

The London Regiments were Teritorial Battalions. You might nee d to know if he was in 1/24th or 2/24th. LLT gives brigade and division for each. Follow that through and you may be able to work out the action.

Found near Coy. HQ, could he have been a runner or signaler? Good Luck with it. Yes, need to establish if 1/24 or 2/24 Bn.

He was 2/24th according to CWGC.

Hi

Previously served as 5569, 9th London

WD says

Guyencourt area

Battalion in close support for attack on Pezieres, 2nd Lts. E.G. Austin and S. Martin killed. Capt. A. Harrison MC, Capt. H.L. Rees, 2nd Lt. C.H. Barker Clark MC burnt by splashes from gas shells"

(spelling as WD - probably Peiziere)

Regards,

Graeme

Thanks everybody. He was 2/24th and a signaller.

I know much of his story, but in the account of his death which I have it says, "no details are to hand except that his body was found, in the neighbourhood of the Company Headquarters, and in circumstances which indicated he had been killed instantaneously.” (Mind in WW1 they almost all seem to have died instantaneously,. and often without any suffering. Not that I blame the commanders for writing so reassuringly.)

Will