Remembered Today:

Welsh Insurance Commission / Welsh Board of Health

The Scorer

I am researching the names on two memorials located within the building where I work.

The building is currently occupied by the Welsh Government, but the two memorials are for their "predecessor" organisations. The Welsh (National Health Service) Insurance Commission was created in 1912 to administer the then Chancellor of the Exchequer David Lloyd George's National Insurance Act 1911. The offices were in the City Hall, Cardiff until the organisation was absorbed into the new Welsh Board of Health in 1919. The new body remained in the City Hall, Cardiff until the new offices in Cathays Park, Cardiff were opened in 1938. The Welsh Board of Health was absorbed into the Welsh Office in 1969 and is now part of the Welsh Government.

There are two memorials, one for the First World War and one for the Second World War, with nineteen and six names respectively. I think that I have identified the majority of the names on both memorials, but there are some on both that I haven't yet found.

These are as follows:

First World War

C S Brown

E W Davies

G Davies

J B Ewen

W J Lewis

J E Mundy

H R Pracey

D Thomas

Second World War

D G Davies

E A Jones

J C Moore

I have found some options for most of these, but I can't prove that any of them are right. The problem I have is that whilst these people worked for a Cardiff based organisation, they weren't necessarily based in Cardiff, so they wouldn't therefore have had a Cardiff (or even a South Walian) address.

So, can anyone help me with these names, please? I've included the Second World War names, and any help with these will be much appreciated even though they are strictly speaking "off topic".

Thank you; if you have any questions, please let me know, either on here or by PM.

The building itself, officially the Temple of Peace and Health, was conceived as part of the Welsh National War Memorial (the other part is in the centre of Cathays Park.

Does it give the regiments served in? That would help.

No, I'm afraid not - which is why I'm having so much trouble!

The building itself, officially the Temple of Peace and Health, was conceived as part of the Welsh National War Memorial (the other part is in the centre of Cathays Park.

No, the Temple of Peace is a different building in Cathays Park, albeit the other side of the road from us.

• 2 weeks later...