Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sussex Man in Durham Light Infantry?

MrG

I am researching some of the local men who served in WW1 and one, Arthur Stanley Sprackling - has me puzzled. I know he fought in France (we have his brothers diary and he says this) but the only Arthur S Sprackling in the MICs is Pte 64396 Durham L I. In fact there are only three Arthur Sprackings - one has the middle initial "E" and the other one died!

What I cant really therefore understand is what a Sussex man would be doing in this regiment as there is no indication that he transferred from one of the more local regiments?

Any thoughts (or indeed any further info) on this Arthur S Sprackling that would help me confirm him as "mine")

Thanks

With a number that high I'd say he either came in as a Derby man or he came under the MSA 1916 and was conscripted - at that point a man was posted wherever he was required. Many Derby men were also posted wherever they were needed.

EDIT:

The dates match with him being conscripted unless he had earlier service.

#64521 DLI was allocated on 16 Feb 1917
#65057 DLI was allocated on 20 Feb 1917
#65554 DLI was allocated on 27 Feb 1917

They all seem to have been in DLI Labour Companies.

Craig

Even early in the war recruits were posted to units that had no connection with where they lived or were recruited. This became increasingly common as the war progressed. If the 5th Blankshires in Northern England needed 80 men they might get them from recruits from several hundred miles away.

Moonraker

That makes sense as the second number on his card is a Labour Corps one - Pte 20203.

Any ideas where the DLI Labour Companies served?

Merve

Any ideas where the DLI Labour Companies served?

Unfortunately I don't.

Craig

Hi,

His Labour Corps numbers shows he was in 2nd Infantry Labour Company DLI which became 34th Labour Company in May 1917.

regards

John

Many Thanks

Merve