Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

102 Boulevard Haussman - BBC4 tonight at 9.30

seaJane

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0440rbq

Play by Alan Bennett: "In 1916, while the war rages on the battlefields of France, Marcel Proust lives a nocturnal, closeted life in his Paris apartment, obsessively working on his writing. After venturing outside to visit a concert, he becomes fascinated by a string quartet's viola player, who is a wounded serviceman home from the front."

Alan Bates, Paul Rhys, Janet McTeer, Celia Imrie and Michael Grandage in the cast.

SeaJane, thank you for the reminder; I've just set the Tivo box to record it. I know the address and the area but I very little else about the dramatis personae.

Pete.

I've seen this and found it very good. I'm very interested in Proust and his time, though must admit I failed to get through his magnum opus. Must have another go sometime.

Cheers Martin B

A repeat presumably - none the worse for it of course - but didn't Bates, A. pop his clogs a few years back ? I shall dunk a madeleine and see if the smell brings back memories of having watched it before . . . . .

Well, that was splendid. If the Crimson Field wallies want to learn how to write, cast, direct, set and act a drama, then they might start by watching this gem.

Look forward to watching on iPlayer.

I saw it when it was first shown years ago. I seem to recall a classic Bennettism when Proust apologises for the lift in his building "which dates from before the invention of lifts" although I'm probably misremembering.

Martin - I found the only thing that finally got me through "A la recherché..." was a child that wouldn't sleep unless someone sat with her! Bleak House, Dombey and Son, Proust and Warne's hat-trick at Melbourne - dark days !!

David