Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

On Active Service Series

Dust Jacket Collector

2 more jackets found. I now have all 28 volumes with 16 in their jackets. At this rate I should have completed the task on my 99th birthday (if they allow me to keep that many books in the care home!).

F7B8ACB1-9F4B-40B1-A57B-D01257D3EC58.jpeg.8af2bbc2ec2f52d1900320f2bfc9f997.jpeg

Fantastic finds. Never seen the jacket of 'Field Ambulance Sketches'. I will keep the thought a wise sage said; 'If you wait long enough they will turn up in the end'.

Well done Alan , Field Ambulance has a nice jacket and ( like Best-Dunkley ) it's not a bad read either .

2 hours ago, other ranker said:

Fantastic finds. Never seen the jacket of 'Field Ambulance Sketches'. I will keep the thought a wise sage said; 'If you wait long enough they will turn up in the end'.

Did they add "and then a fellow collector will come along first and buy it " ? :lol:

21 minutes ago, Black Maria said:

Well done Alan , Field Ambulance has a nice jacket and ( like Best-Dunkley ) it's not a bad read either .

Did they add "and then a fellow collector will come along first and buy it " ? :lol:

It’s a strange set in that there’s no uniform style for the jackets. Most are like the Best-Dunkley but a few have B&W photos and then you get an oddity like the Field Ambulance one. There are 7 I’ve never seen jackets for including ‘With the Chinks’ which would probably be ‘cancelled’ these days.

58 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

It’s a strange set in that there’s no uniform style for the jackets. Most are like the Best-Dunkley but a few have B&W photos and then you get an oddity like the Field Ambulance one. There are 7 I’ve never seen jackets for including ‘With the Chinks’ which would probably be ‘cancelled’ these days.

Yes they are a bit of an eclectic mix ( just had a look on your site ) , i think Field Ambulance is my favourite one . I would like to see the jacket for 'Men and Tanks' , it would be very disappointing if it were one of the plain ones though .

9 hours ago, Black Maria said:

Yes they are a bit of an eclectic mix ( just had a look on your site ) , i think Field Ambulance is my favourite one . I would like to see the jacket for 'Men and Tanks' , it would be very disappointing if it were one of the plain ones though .

Yes, so would I. I had hoped the original publisher would have retained copies but sadly when they were swallowed up by whichever giant corporation they’re now in most of their archives were dumped. They only had B & W images of three of them.

2 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Yes, so would I. I had hoped the original publisher would have retained copies but sadly when they were swallowed up by whichever giant corporation they’re now in most of their archives were dumped. They only had B & W images of three of them.

That is a shame , i hate to think what treasures have been thrown out with the rubbish over the years . Still , on the bright side it still gives you something to hunt for , there seems to be very little coming on the market at the moment that interests me . Last year was the first one in twenty that i found nothing on my wants list ( that is i did see one but it was just too expensive ) . 

• 6 months later...

DJC put out the challenge to collect this series to me. Thought you would like to see how its going. Picked up most quite cheaply along the way. 'With The Chinks' was not so cheap, but had to buy it as I may never see it again!

DSCN3559.JPG

Very nice. Particularly like the jacket on Dawson’s ‘Pushing Water’. Is it the US edition - mine is. Sadly not managed to find any more jackets since my January posting.

On 06/01/2022 at 20:19, Dust Jacket Collector said:

2 more jackets found. I now have all 28 volumes with 16 in their jackets. At this rate I should have completed the task on my 99th birthday (if they allow me to keep that many books in the care home!).

Well done Alan. That is a remarkable feat of dedication and persistence.  

4 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Very nice. Particularly like the jacket on Dawson’s ‘Pushing Water’. Is it the US edition - mine is. Sadly not managed to find any more jackets since my January posting.

The Pushing water is the UK edition.